Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Takeoff and climb with pre-rotator engaged - what happens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takeoff and climb with pre-rotator engaged - what happens?

Hello -
    What happens if you try to take off without releasing the prerotator lever? Is it even possible to get into the air or do bad things happen
    when you start the takeoff roll? Sorry if there is some of this in the past but since the upgrade I've been unable to search successfully
    for pretty much anything.

Thanks

When I first purchased my Dominator and was learning the machine. I pre-rotated to about slightly below flight rpm. The nose wheel lifted slightly and I found myself making a hard right turn into the grass. Fortunately, I was sitting still and not rolling. Never tried that again!!!
    I will admit, to a takeoff at Bensen Days a few years ago; Billy Steward was in my rear seat. I was being pushed (on the radio) to expedite the takeoff roll. I did not prespin to a high enough RRPM before I started to pull the stick back. I felt the bump in the stick and knew a "blade flap" was getting started. I instantly released the pre-rotor and pushed the stick forward and arrested the flap', basically aborting the takeoff. As I felt everything was alright, I re-engaged the pre-protor and re-entered the takeoff run. Bill and I were discussing the probable flap which I almost had; as I took off. I noticed the performance was really poor and the climb was negligible and there was a bit of yaw . I even mentioned, something is not right to Billy. Then I realized, I still had the pre-rotor engaged. I released it and everything returned to what I perceive to be normal. Billy and I had some discussion about it, during the flight.
    Lesson learned:
    NEVER let other Pilots and Traffic get you flustered! Do your thing the way you do and keep it safe.

David McCutchen
    615-390-2228
    Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
    Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
    Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
    Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
    EAA Member #0511805
    PRA Member #28866
    PRA Chapter 16 Member
    Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
    President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
    Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
    2 busy 2 No!

Comment

It depends on the gyroplane and the pre-rotator.

It makes no difference in The Predator and it is not possible on most Autogiro products because of an interlock switch.
      Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Birdy was talking about this last year. See if something comes up in a search.
        Bobby Munroe
        Private Pilot (SEL)
        PRA Chapter 62 #42748
        EAA #1160523

Comment

I believe I saw this exact thing with my own eyes. When I was first shopping for a gyroplane I asked a gentleman to take a craft in which I was interested for a short flight so I could see it in action. He agreed and set out. After prerotation he began his takeoff roll. I believe that, at that point, his prerotator did not disengage. He was able to slowly attain takeoff speed, but at the instant the main wheels broke contact with the runway the aircraft yawed right very quickly and he ended up putting it down on the sloped grass next to the runway, backward. It rolled over and balled itself up.
          There's no proof to what occurred. But after going over it in my mind again and again, and talking with others, it seems that would be the most likely reason for that occurrence. Stuck prerotator, full throttle, no anti-torque mechanism.
          Glenn

Comment

Is it one where he mentioned 60 ft trees? I found that but but no more. Search is not my friend it seems.

Originally posted by AirCommandPilot View Post
            Birdy was talking about this last year. See if something comes up in a search.

Comment

No interest in prying but do you know what style prerotator it was? Belts, flex drive and bendix or something else? Just curious really, but also wondering what the
              "getting stuck on" mechanism might be.

Sounds like a good reason not to try it actually (for me at least).

My real reason for getting into this was just wondering out loud as to whether that prerotate lever sitting there was a "kill me now" switch in some circumstances.

Thanks

Originally posted by Glenn_K View Post
              I believe I saw this exact thing with my own eyes. When I was first shopping for a gyroplane I asked a gentleman to take a craft in which I was interested for a short flight so I could see it in action. He agreed and set out. After prerotation he began his takeoff roll. I believe that, at that point, his prerotator did not disengage. He was able to slowly attain takeoff speed, but at the instant the main wheels broke contact with the runway the aircraft yawed right very quickly and he ended up putting it down on the sloped grass next to the runway, backward. It rolled over and balled itself up.
              There's no proof to what occurred. But after going over it in my mind again and again, and talking with others, it seems that would be the most likely reason for that occurrence. Stuck prerotator, full throttle, no anti-torque mechanism.

Comment

On my Mac-powered Bensen I can keep the Wunderlich prerotator engaged until I break ground and start climbing out.
                It only yaws a little to the right while engaged. Nothing drastic.
                If I had a larger drum it would probably produce more yaw, but as it is it's not a problem.
                Mike Gaspard
                Forum Administrator
                Kaplan, Louisiana
                Bensen B8MG, NX36MG

Comment

Working...
                X