General Inspection Documents and points of interest

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
It's quite possible I'm overthinking this but I'm keeping meticulous records of every facet of QB2's build. Not that I mind assembling a wonderful build log, but what information is an aircraft inspector most eager to see? Seriously I capture photos of the most benign things that turn out to be useful information. So I don't really know where to draw the line.

Guidance by those in the know would be appreciated.

Find yourself a DAR and begin working with him.

He will tell you what you need.

There is a list of tasks that he will provide.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Vance

See if you can find one who's worked with gyros before. It will be tough in NJ, but if you get one who doesn't understand how we do weight & balance, for example, it will seem foreign and inadequate from the perspective of an airplane guy.

We also have a very lenient set of guidelines for determining 51%. If you get a guy who doesn't follow the new checklist and doesn't know a rotor is considered an individual part...

If you fail on the first try, you'll likely be stuck working with the same DAR until you can pass. The FAA has gotten tough on anything that looks like DAR-shopping.

Well I emailed one of the dar's on the list and told him this was a gyroplane. My Hope Is that he may point me in the right direction if he is not familiar with gyros. Not a lot of Gyro activity in New Jersey.

PW_Plack;n1119220 said:
See if you can find one who's worked with gyros before. It will be tough in NJ, but if you get one who doesn't understand how we do weight & balance, for example, it will seem foreign and inadequate from the perspective of an airplane guy.

We also have a very lenient set of guidelines for determining 51%. If you get a guy who doesn't follow the new checklist and doesn't know a rotor is considered an individual part...

If you fail on the first try, you'll likely be stuck working with the same DAR until you can pass. The FAA has gotten tough on anything that looks like DAR-shopping.

I had mine done by an FAA guy, and I wrote out a weight and balance like you would for a fixed-wing.
Even though it doesn't mean much for a gyro and he didn't know any better, it looked like all the other ones he had seen and he was satisfied.

Mike,
Do you (or anyone else here) have a copy of the 'new' set of guidelines for the 51% requirement. I'm looking for the one the FAA puts out but
cant seem to locate it on the website. Perhaps posting a link to a PDF if one is available would help tremendously.
Thanks in advance,

www.pra.org/supportfiles/Library/AmBuiltFabAssyCklistGyro.pdf
mark treidel;n1119225 said:
Mike,
Do you (or anyone else here) have a copy of the 'new' set of guidelines for the 51% requirement. I'm looking for the one the FAA puts out but
cant seem to locate it on the website. Perhaps posting a link to a PDF if one is available would help tremendously.
Thanks in advance,

Sure here is a link to it from PRA's website: www.pra.org/supportfiles/Library/AmBuiltFabAssyCklistGyro.pdf

As anticipated, the DAR I contacted was helpful in pointing me in the right direction. He said that I needed a DAR-F with a function code of 48, and sent me a list of them organized by US State. I'll attach the PDF to this post for anyone interested.

Attachments

• DARF Directory Code 48.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 8
Yay! I now have a DAR F working with me on the build. A very nice gentleman named Jon Ross from Long Island, NY, whom I spoke with last night. He knows a fair bit about gyros and has agreed to inspect the design and construction practices throughout the build. He's aware it's a legal 103 ultralight and needs no certification, but he's happy to help be an experienced pair of eyes on the project. Feeling good about this! Now onto cutting and drilling.