Look what AutoGyro did to the MTO Sport

No Title

I love this color/design scheme. I can't wait to get one of these to wrap (with vinyl).
There are a lot of significant design changes. I have always been impressed with the way AutoGyro in continuously improving it's product. I have been involved with Cirrus since the beginning, and AG reminds me of them.

Attachments

• photo127184.jpg
    photo127184.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo127185.jpg
    photo127185.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo127186.jpg
    photo127186.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo127187.jpg
    photo127187.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
He claimed Auto-Gyro had better welds but I'm sure that's not true; the Cavalon actually had a problem where a welded part of the engine mounts would break, so AG had to redesign it so less stress would be placed on the weld itself. My Auto Gyro affiliated instructor had pointed that out to me so I would check that area when pre-flighting.

Jeff/Loftus is judging electro polishing of the metal and confusing that with weld quality. Those things are as different as engine of a car and paint of a car. We purge weld our mast assembly using Argon on both sides of the metal with 308 rod. Our frame welders have 30 years and 22 years of experience and follow defined instructions of special process definition. We do not electro polish the welds. Electro polish does make the metal look nicer but it is nasty cancer causing stuff that I do not really want my guys exposed to and it takes off 0.0005 to 0.001 off the surface metal per its ASTM spec. i am sure AG welds are done very similar to our process and are good generally speaking.

If i considered electro polishing passivation, I'd rather outsource that nasty stuff then do it in our shop. EPA in the U.S. has very strict guidelines for the materials used in it which is Sulphuric and some other acid and an alkaline bath at around 180 F controlled temp

mark treidel;n1118792 said:
Loftus,
You mentioned above the difference in the welds between the AR-1 & the MTO. Exactly which one (in your opinion) has the better welds?

Please note, this is what I said: 'Autogyro critics should take a gander in the difference in the quality of the welds etc between the Autogyro and the AR-1, pretty striking difference, at least aesthetically,' I know nothing about welding, I have no idea which weld is stronger etc. I am simply stating that the overall finish on the Autogyro is superb, as it is on the ELA. The appearances of the welds on the Autogyro vs the AR-1 is very different, the AR-1 that I saw looking a little untidy to my untrained eye. I am sure the welds are extremely strong on the AR-1,I also know from the reports by people I respect that the AR-1 flies great, and the new MTO has yet to show it is as good or a better flying machine; my only point being that some of these 'details' of finish can really make a difference when selling anything, whether it's an automobile or a gyro.Autogyro actually did have problems with the welds of their early MTO-3's and apparently have resolved these problems. So I am simply making the point that the new MTO, as is the case with the Cavalon and Calidus exhibits a very high quality finish, at least to the eye. I know many consider this simply lipstick on a pig, but no different to making a judgement like this when buying any type of product. It's a tough market out there...............
My overall impression of the new MTO at this point is that Autogyro have made significant upgrades in the MTO as a more comfortable and capable touring machine. The seat and pedal adjustability etc, roll trim addition, 25 gallon tank, larger more wraparound windscreens front and back, more storage options etc - these are the changes that are immediately evident to me without getting off the ground. How it flies, nobody, including US Autogyro people, yet know, as the one on display is not even fully assembled, but their are differences that are immediately obvious like the tail and the head, that may support Autogyro's claims of improved flying characteristics. How actual build quality holds up, will only be known over time, as with any brand. And I hope to get a ride in the new MTO as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Notes - the MT-03 went out of production some seven or eight years ago when the MTOsport was introduced.

The MT-03 and MTOsport share one continious serial number sequence - over 1410 built to date.

Today a visiting MT-03 flew into my loca airfield - this is a 2006 built machine - it looked in excellent condition - has a Rotax 912 - I took a look at the Hobbs - 1785 hours - these are well built machines.

aSJMDSCF6666.jpg

Small to medium size companies like AutoGyro are the backbone of Germany's economy. Many of them are world leaders in their respective fields. Part of the success is due to a very well trained and highly dedicated workforce. Germany has, over more than a hundred years, developed a scheme whereby apprentices go to school for two days a week learning the theory they need for their jobs (and eg. English which is becoming ever more important) and for the rest of the week get practical training in the company that has given them an apprenticeship. Barack Obama has taken great interest in this system during his visits to Germany and, as far as I know, actually wanted to establish a similar system in the US.
AutoGyro now has a staff of about 150 of these highly trained and very motivated men and women. I have visited the company several times and it is heart warming to see the pride in the eyes of the people working there when they talk about what they are doing. If you add a really modern, very clean and well organized factory it becomes clear why the deliver such a high quality product. If you want to get an impression just skim through the video below. It's a feature film by one local TV station. Text is in German, but the pictures of the work shops speak for themselves.

Enjoy

I believe that all manufactures should copy there add-on's to help capture the luxury market. Nicolas has made many changes and introduced new enclose single place convertible models, so don't need to ask him for that. But I will encourage him to make add-on's from now on and not new models.

I think AG has a great business model that is bringing non-gyro people into the market for the first time. Zenon could done this too if not for the evil partner.

From my in the trenches observations registering people for PRA all of the new style gyroplane have brought NEW blood into our gyro community what would not have shown up for our open frame models new or old.

Selling the idea that Rotax engines are as dependable as certified aircraft engines has helped but it prices out most of the middle class that has a family and is not allowed to spend that much money on a toy for themselves. That also explains why so many owners are older the kids have left the nest and maybe the wife too so they can spend it on THEMSELVES now.

kolibri282;n1118817 said:
Barack Obama has taken great interest in this system during his visits to Germany and, as far as I know, actually wanted to establish a similar system in the US.

He had 8 years to establish such, but did not. Maybe just talking about it is NOT the same as ACTUALLY doing something? Hmmmm, who would've thought.......

Now that the republicans are busy blocking Trump's political initiatives in Congress, Obama is free to work on convincing American companies to establish training schemes like this....;-)

Very interesting video - Rotorsport ( UK ) flew their pilots over the Channel to Germany in their Type Certified Cavalon Pro ( G-CIEW ) to get their first experience on flying the new 2017 MTOsport - this short video shows scenes from the flight test dept hangar ( ie pre customer delivery ) and also part of the factory showroom before going out onto the apron for the new MTO - good to see these behind the scenes clips - it's a gyro factory

link to video - hope it works

https://www.facebook.com/AutoGyro.uk/videos/1361149350605836/

From post #27:
Germany has, over more than a hundred years, developed a scheme whereby apprentices go to school for two days a week learning the theory they need for their jobs (and eg. English which is becoming ever more important) and for the rest of the week get practical training in the company that has given them an apprenticeship. Barack Obama has taken great interest in this system during his visits to Germany and, as far as I know, actually wanted to establish a similar system in the US.

Ivanka Trump has also seen the light.....;-) .... in an interview with the German newspaper she told Wirtschafts Woche,
“Germany’s apprenticeship model is a practical and successful example of a true public-private partnership, aligning classroom instruction with real labor market experience and demand.”

from here:
https://global.handelsblatt.com/politics/ivanka-trump-wants-to-learn-from-germany-751815