Balancinq -- PB-3 for $40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

I have decided that I am overly obnoxious to people on here when I discuss rotor balancinq, 2-cycle jettinq and operation, and danqers of qyros.

I`m qoinq to try to keep my mouth 100% shut about these subjects and maybe I won`t qet on folks` last nerve.
    Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
    Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Mike G View Post
      Brian
      I really like your device, it shows how really clever engineers were before the computer age, it's a bit like my old slide rule that still works when all the batteries of my calculator are flat.

However I think your thread title is misleading; I cannot see how you could "balance" a rotor with this device, if you have a method I'd like to see it. Also your title implies that the PB3 is vastly over priced which is not (in my opinion) true and might mislead others to spend 40$ expecting to get something that youíre telling them is as good as a PB3 and it clearly isnít.

First, it only goes down to 14 hz, that's 840 rpm, so for most gyros this can't even detect a fundamental imbalance or out of track frequency and would struggle to detect a 2/rev vibration.

Second, it doesn't give you a readable, repeatable amplitude of vibration so detecting accurately changes in vibration would be difficult.

Third, it doesn't give you any phase angle and you need that to be able to balance.

As a detector of a major vibration frequency its elegant simplicity is (for me) beautiful but like my slide rule it really belongs in a museum.
      I suggested in another thread a long time ago, and somebody recently recommended in the thread about your vibration problem, that you could download a free app for your smartphone and get a frequency spectrum directly for nothing that would give you much more information than this device, but as usual you went your own way.

In some ways I admire your independent spirit and in others it is just frustrating to watch you waste your time with your "suck it and see" approach, but it's your time.

Mike G
      Hey Mike,
      I hope this find you and yours well!

I think I am ready to buy a PB4. Can you advise me on how to purchase it please? What's the price? Do you suggest an an IPAD or another PDA?

Thanks,

Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
      Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment

Originally posted by bryancobb View Post

Hey Mike,
        I hope this find you and yours well!

I think I am ready to buy a PB4. Can you advise me on how to purchase it please? What's the price? Do you suggest an an IPAD or another PDA?

Thanks,
        Lets see if this link will copy: http://www.treysit.com/sitemap/

Comment

Bryan
          i don't visit this forum anymore but a friend told me you were asking questions.
          I don't have anything to do with selling the PB4 you must contact Mark Burton at smartavionics.com. They are in UK don't get confused with another Smartavionics in the US.
          it works with iPad or Android but we've seen the odd bug when using Safari, it seems to work best with chrome.
          Good luck with it.
          Mike

Comment

I've spent some time with a PB-4, and found it a quality device which was easy to learn (great tutorials!), and accurate.
            It wifi connects to tablet or iPhone, and I've not seen any bugs.
            I highly recommend the PB-4!

Regards,
            Kolibri
            PP - ASEL complex (C172RG, Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, Sport Copter II, M912), soloed in gliders

"
            When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

Working...
            X