gyrocopter REVO

something different !

something different !

Wow, I like that REVO gyro's direction.
Retractable gear? Is he planning on going fast? Looks cool.
Could be significant fuel storage in the wing area, but I only saw two red (5 gallon-ish?) fuel cells.
Will have to try and keep up with development on this one...
Thanks for pointing it out!
Brian

Hey looks like what I drew in 2012

Hey looks like what I drew in 2012

To be on the record and probably half of dozen of forum members here have seen briefly my 2 year old design sketches that hmmmm seem very much like this one. Also did a side by side version design concept similar to this.

They may have a problem with the name Revo as its used by my old company which designed, markets and manufactures a trike called the Revo that is also available in Europe.

Attachments

• Gyrosketch3-corrected tail.jpg
    Gyrosketch3-corrected tail.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 2
It is extremely similar to our advanced gyroplane that is being developed slowly since 2009.

I mean Shape and retracts..... we have other advancements that will be included in ours.

a single image can be seen in www.aviomania.com

It is extremely similar to our advanced gyroplane that is being developed slowly since 2009.

I mean Shape and retracts..... we have other advancements that will be included in ours.

You are right. It is more similar to your design than my concept. The tail booms I had were complex curves and also acted as vertical stability enhancing surfaces and incorporated the wings in with them meshing into a winglet and tail all in one than the simpler straight back tubes.

You should talk to them seriously because yours is "too" similar to their design. It would be interesting to know how and why they came up with this idea. I do not understand why with such complex shapes, the structure is not made from the skin and instead a metal frame is being used.

How does it work?

How does it work?

How is the angle of attack of the little wings managed?

How is the change in the rotor load managed?

What is the goal of the design?

How is the angle of attack of the little wings managed?

How is the change in the rotor load managed?

What is the goal of the design?

Hi Vance:
I can't answer for others but the original sketch of my concept does not on purpose clarify many details. Some of your questions are simple so I'll take a shot at them.

The angle of attack of such small wings is fixed. It does not change. At a certain speed, the wing produces lift roughly about 18 to 22% of the weight and unloads the rotor and allows you cruise faster. This has no perceptible effect to the pilot.

Hi Vance:
I can't answer for others but the original sketch of my concept does not on purpose clarify many details. Some of your questions are simple so I'll take a shot at them.

The angle of attack of such small wings is fixed. It does not change. At a certain speed, the wing produces lift roughly about 18 to 22% of the weight and unloads the rotor and allows you cruise faster. This has no perceptible effect to the pilot.

Thank you Abid!

The lift curve an airfoil suggests to me that if it is lifting 20% of the weight at 100 miles per hour if I pull back on the cyclic the wing lift will increase as the nose pitches up slowing the rotor.

It seems to me that at some point this becomes problematic without an elevator.

What am I missing?

all new is well forgotten past :)

http://www.vrtulnik.cz/gyro/schimmel.htm

helo4089.jpg

helo4088.jpg

Thank you Abid!

The lift curve an airfoil suggests to me that if it is lifting 20% of the weight at 100 miles per hour if I pull back on the cyclic the wing lift will increase as the nose pitches up slowing the rotor.

It seems to me that at some point this becomes problematic without an elevator.

What am I missing?

Hi Vance:
You can select airfoils and put the incidence in such a way that if you pull up, the winglet will stall out quite rapidly before anything else happens. Pulling up also increases loading on the rotor as well and things do not become dis-proportionate. The proportionality between rotor disc and the winglet continues till winglet stalls. Hope that makes sense. We did this same trick in trike landing gear fairings and trikes are weight shift control so its even more noticeable there. Although the current landing gear fairing on the trikes and current gyro only produces enough lift to may be replace in the area of 80 to 90 pounds of lift. The larger percentage would be from these newer design concepts here I was referring to.

Last edited:
Has this machine ever flown?

Has this machine ever flown?

which one ?
- REVO
- AVIAMANIA
- CZ one

REBO - not yet
AVIAMANIA - not yet
CZ one yes, in 2008 : "Pokus o létání v Roudnici v červnu 2008. Pilot Karel Sluka."

similarities

similarities

So, .......
Did Groen copy Abid, or did they copy Nicholas... or the Polish one.... or....
Ha ha. :boink:

Regardless of who the father is, I like the design and hope to learn more about its performance.

Brian

So, .......
Did Groen copy Abid, or did they copy Nicholas... or the Polish one.... or....
Ha ha. :boink:

Regardless of who the father is, I like the design and hope to learn more about its performance.

Brian

Groen??? Their design is nothing like my concept. Actually this design is also not like my concept in that respect. You have to join the tail to the wing altogether in a box. There is aerodynamic efficiency to be gained from that. You don't get that just putting two round pipes joining like twin tail boom. Basically you get rid of much of the induced drag from the wing and some of the tail drag while keeping and getting all their benefits. I don't want to go into more detail abut that and yes you probably can't the full picture from the sketches I posted (that's on purpose). The devil is always in the details. I can assure you Groen Brothers prototype was a miles away from that idea. twin boom tails ... not so hot but they are simple and easy :)

I like the twin boom design because it allows you to store fuel outside (in the fared attachment area) and also allows the engine to be mounted lower and easier to make the gyro CLT. I think that is the strength of the Xenon/Zen1 design making it a safer gyro.

I like open tandem seating rather than SxS so a design that takes the elements I like of the Xenon in a tandem configuration is appealing to me. I like tandems because 90% of my flying is solo and its great to be able to load spare fuel and luggage behind you and not have the fuel fumes stinking out the cabin or your gear encroaching on you. You can also load a greater volume of cargo (not necessarily weight) into the rear tandem seat than you can in the passenger seat of SxS.

I also like the beefy trailing link gear but why go retractable? Trailing link gear is already heavy why add anymore weight?

It is interesting that so many gyro builders and designers feel the need for speed. Gyros are inherently draggy and slow so why isn't that embraced and optimized. The gyro mission is much better suited to slow and low that can carry a decent payload. It just seems to me that at least half of the gyro pilots want to go faster not slower, and it would seem to me that they should really consider a carbon club or similar where there is great STOL and fly faster than 100 kts and can also get out of tight strips.

Last edited:
I like the twin boom design because it allows you to store fuel outside (in the fared attachment area) and also allows the engine to be mounted lower and easier to make the gyro CLT. I think that is the strength of the Xenon/Zen1 design making it a safer gyro.

I like open tandem seating rather than SxS so a design that takes the elements I like of the Xenon in a tandem configuration is appealing to me. I like tandems because 90% of my flying is solo and its great to be able to load spare fuel and luggage behind you and not have the fuel fumes stinking out the cabin or your gear encroaching on you. You can also load a greater volume of cargo (not necessarily weight) into the rear tandem seat than you can in the passenger seat of SxS.

I also like the beefy trailing link gear but why go retractable? Trailing link gear is already heavy why add anymore weight?

It is interesting that so many gyro builders and designers feel the need for speed. Gyros are inherently draggy and slow so why isn't that embraced and optimized. The gyro mission is much better suited to slow and low that can carry a decent payload. It just seems to me that at least half of the gyro pilots want to go faster not slower, and it would seem to me that they should really consider a carbon club or similar where there is great STOL and fly faster than 100 kts and can also get out of tight strips.

but you are right ! ;)

...It just seems to me that at least half of the gyro pilots want to go faster not slower, and it would seem to me that they should really consider a carbon club or similar where there is great STOL and fly faster than 100 kts and can also get out of tight strips.

This is partly due to gyros entering the LSA market. If you're already limited by regulation to 120 knots, which a fast gyro can approach, a fast gyro can compete almost directly with LSA airplanes. This mission profile is where all the growth in gyro sales is happening.

The Carbon Cub is also more than double the price of an MTO.