Crescendo Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Jackson View Post
    Tailboom Standoff cones test fit. Their tips will connect to thin jury struts in tension (via turnbuckles) to the midpoint of the bolt at the aft end of the engine mount. They work opposite of a single compression strut (not shown). More to follow. Some things just take more time than one might anticipate.
    Them there concave tapered thingamajigs look pretty nice.
    I could make me a pretty nice pot pipe outta one of those !!!
    Nice job Brian
    Style and detail won't make it fly any better, but it will surely look nice.
    Life,The leading cause of Death

Live and Learn--OR--Die and be an example

Comment

Originally posted by gyrojake View Post

Them there concave tapered thingamajigs look pretty nice.
      I could make me a pretty nice pot pipe outta one of those !!!
      Nice job Brian
      Style and detail won't make it fly any better, but it will surely look nice.
      Thank you Jake. Was going more for a Hookah than a bong :-) Actually the shapes of the fittings (and many other parts) was dictated by load; thickness can diminish at a proportion to length. I just removed material where it wasn't needed and you end up with the shape of pulled taffy.

Comment

Ordered the wheels, tires, axles and innertubes today from Azusa. 6" and 4" AzusaLite wheels for the mains and nosewheel respectively. Not having ordered these types of parts before exposed my ignorance of many things. For example, tires... many tread types, plys, profiles, etc. But after studying their site and catalog for a couple of days I think my best guesses were at least somewhat educated before ordering. I went with simple Ribbed tires instead of other tread types like Knobby, Turf, Sawtooth, etc. Flat profile on the mains and round profile on the nose.

I did not order any bearings with the wheel halves because I am told these need to be replaced with better quality. Will be ordering them from Aircraft Spruce if an Aurora equivalent (or better) is available.

Axles... where to start. I relied on the Forum for guidance here because the GyroBee plans are vague here and simply spec "KB2 Axles". I did order 5/8" diameter solid steel X 8-3/4" long, no step, with a 1" threaded end. From the plans this appears to be the correct length. They are referred to as "Mini Axles" in the Azusa catalog. They will require aluminum sleeves that are 3/16" wall to fit tight. Since they are 5/8" diameter continuously, the thru-holes for the strut fittings will need to be centered very accurately to leave 3/16" of steel on either side of the hole. I'm a little concerned about this detail.

Anyway, that's where the project is at currently.
        Last edited by Brian Jackson; 10-15-2018, 12:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

This is the gyro with the adjustable camber as discussed.
          A close up of the connection plates to give you an idea of what's going on..
          Last edited by gyrojake; 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM.
          Life,The leading cause of Death

Live and Learn--OR--Die and be an example

Comment

Thanks Jake. I will analyze the photo when time permits this evening.

Also to add, I believe I may have misspoke about avoiding the Azusa wheel bearings in my earlier post. Searching the forum archives revealed a post I was incorrectly remembering that instructed to "Use the better bearings." It didn't say avoid them. So I apologize for the wrong information.

Comment

Azusa has 2 levels of quality for their bearings. Super cheap stamped race loose bearings, and sealed bearings with hardened and ground races. I've never had a problem with the good ones.
              "Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape!"
              All opinions are my own, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Feel free to correct me if I am.
              PRA# 40294

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzenjohn View Post
                Azusa has 2 levels of quality for their bearings. Super cheap stamped race loose bearings, and sealed bearings with hardened and ground races. I've never had a problem with the good ones.
                Good to know, John, and thank you. I ordered the Azusa precision bearings today from Aircraft Spruce. Was surprised they're less than $2 each. Bargains usually makes me skeptical.

Comment

While the Forum is currently suffering some coding issues I'll add this entry that doesn't require photos. Bearings are seated, nosewheel assembled and inflated, and I went ahead and ordered the round profile tires for the mains to replace the square profiles I'd ordered earlier to reduce parasite drag. This was a good bit of practical knowledge available through this Forum that would be tragic to lose, so am hoping the Forum issues can be resolved soon.

Having conversed with Azusa Engineering directly, I have decided to bend the axles themselves rather than the axle strut tubes. This is allowed without the need for subsequent heat treatment, and the steel is ductile cold rolled so no issues with fracturing in the ~10 degree range needed.

Currently there are 2 fabrications going on: Strut connections for the tailboom supports, and lathe work for the axle inserts. Also fashioned a crude hoist from a ratcheting strap to make the ship a little easier to work on. Am confident the Forum will be running smoothly again by the time there's any interesting photos to post.

Comment

Working...
                  X