Rotor hoist

n613hh

With the new forum layout the search doesn't give me what I'm looking for. I need to buy/build a rotor hoist for my Sparrowhawk open trailer. Please share your pictures and ideas here or to my email.
Thanks
Stephen Haggerty
Cedar City, UT
[email protected]

No Title

n613hh;n1122279 said:
Vance, do you have pics of your Harbor Freight application?

We extended the top rail about a foot because The Predator has a wide track. It is generally around $800 but I bought it on sale for around $600. I could not have purchased the metal for that much.
For a side by side I would use a scaffold for better access to the rotor head.
The Sport Copter blades only weigh 100 pounds for the whole assembly so you have plenty of capacity.

Attachments

• photo128037.jpg
    photo128037.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
I chained an electric hoist from HF to hanger rafters, and attached a metal bracket to lift the rotor hub. Worked great with small presses of the up or down button for the hoist. I'll send a photo of the metal bracket which someone else made, but works great.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]J Bird,[/FONT]

Many times my eyes have been attracted to the panel hoist in the HF store. Could you possibly post some pics of the modifications you made to use as a hoist
for a rotor.

Cheers,

Dave

JBird: Yes, pray tell, how did you do it?
Did you also use it to hoist that Corvair engine onto it's motor mount on your Dominator?

(When you have time after munching on some of those tomatoes in your back yard garden patch out yonder in the wilds of southern Oregon...)

Oh I could make it on an open trailer but not with only ten foot trailer, you are right.

Kevin, no, lifted with a engine lift.
Dave, the horizontal section with its arms pivots, when loading a piece of sheet rock on to the lift, (5/8"x4'x8') weighs close to 80#, the horiz. section with it's arms is pivoted down and the sheet rock is placed leaning against the arms, then is raised to the ceiling and pivoted and raised till the rock makes contact with the ceiling, allowing one man to install the rock.
What I did was to weld the horizontal section with the arms so the so the arms are always horizontal. That way you can lower the arms lay your rotor on the arms, wheel it where you need them, crank them up. The system is five separate pieces, they fold-up to a compact size.
Kevin, somethings wrong with my tomatoes, every time I eat one, every thing seems hilarious.:rapture:

Last edited:
J Bird, Thanks for the description of your modifications. I looked at the HF lift and it appears that you can put a pin into the pivot that locks the sheet rock carrier in several positions from almost vertical to horizontal. Why do you need to weld the unit?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, I wish I could remember why I decided to change the pivot operation, but I must have had a reason at the time (5-6 years ago).
There on sale for the month of July, $179.99, cheap considering how there made, quite heavy duty.

No Title

Here's what I finished with. Base pipe 2-3/8 schedule 40, uprights 1-5/8 schedule 40, (galvanized HD fence post), brackets 1/4", hardware 5/16 grade 8. Pulleys 400 lbs, Home Depot. 10 minute set up. Tested to 200 lbs + without a groan. As adjusted 12'6" lift adjustable +/- 12". Bracket has one removable center bolt to allow collapse. The 2 c clamps allow easy dropping and raising of the base pole so it self supports. About $85 in materials not counting existing Harbor Freight 1600 lb remote control electric winch. (sale one)

Attachments

• photo128259.jpg
    photo128259.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 52
  • photo128260.jpg
    photo128260.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 50
  • photo128261.jpg
    photo128261.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 49
  • photo128262.jpg
    photo128262.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 49
  • photo128263.jpg
    photo128263.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 52
  • photo128264.jpg
    photo128264.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
  • photo128265.jpg
    photo128265.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 55
Bump, so I can find this tonigh!

Use the stake pocket opposite the vertical to wire-brace the bending load. Just keep the load approximately in line with the wire brace. And use the pockets closest to the cab for extra 90 degree support from the bed front.

smiles,
Charles

When we went to the hanger Dave, Tom, and I designed what Charles described and what Bobby is using.
I should have taken pictures.
We had a Camper mount that is made to slide into the pocket. Sliding into the pocket next to the cab exactly as Charles described.
There is a designed bolt hole in the pocket so drilled a hole in the Camper mount and will bolt it to the bed.
Mounting the hoist on the bent-down portion of the Camper Mount leaves the flat top available to mount the boom pole.
Then we selected to use ratching tie-down straps for the load brace lines.
The last thing I did just before 5 PM was to buy a 10-foot by 1.25" wide poll.
Welding a bracket on the top of the Camper mount and drill a hole through it and the poll and bolt it together to create a hinge.
Like Bobby's!