New FAA medical program at AOPA

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
The FAA has reviewed the AOPA Air Safety Institute’s aeromedical online course and confirmed that it meets the third class medical reform requirements that Congress created last summer. Pilots would need to complete the course, which AOPA will offer for free, every two years in addition to seeing their personal physician every four years to operate under the law.
----

My understanding and a brief outline of the new law and AOPA solution to it:

Pilots will be required to take a health course online at AOPA and pass it every two years and see a doctor every 4 years instead of 2.
The course will teach pilots to do a valid self evaluation of there current health I suspect before each flight.

Here is a link to the announcement. https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ent&utm_content=tts&utm_campaign=170105epilot

Last edited:
They also stated that the FAA would meet the 6 month deadline to implement the new rule. That clock started July 15, 2016.

So that gives the FAA about four more days? Or something close to that number. I wont try and hold my breath.

So that gives the FAA about four more days? Or something close to that number. I wont try and hold my breath.

It appears to me that the FAA is on track with the deadlines given it.

When the third class medical reform legislation was signed by the President on July 15, 2016, it gave the FAA 180 days to craft the regulations consistent with the legislation and until July 15, 2017 to have the regulations implemented.

As recently as a few weeks ago, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said he expected the FAA would have specific regulations consistent with the third class medical reform legislation by mid-January. Those regulations are expected to be spelled out in the form of a Notice of Final Rulemaking.

Typically, an NFRM specifies a date on which those regulations become effective and is usually three to six months after the release of the NFRM, a timeline that places the implementation of the regulations not later than the legislatively mandated date of July 15, 2017.

Ira

It appears to me that the FAA is on track with the deadlines given it.

When the third class medical reform legislation was signed by the President on July 15, 2016, it gave the FAA 180 days to craft the regulations consistent with the legislation and until July 15, 2017 to have the regulations implemented.

As recently as a few weeks ago, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said he expected the FAA would have specific regulations consistent with the third class medical reform legislation by mid-January. Those regulations are expected to be spelled out in the form of a Notice of Final Rulemaking.

Typically, an NFRM specifies a date on which those regulations become effective and is usually three to six months after the release of the NFRM, a timeline that places the implementation of the regulations not later than the legislatively mandated date of July 15, 2017.

Ira

I hope it does happen on schedule. It is a good thing for all.