Renewed interest in gyros in Texas

Aircraft
Building plane/want to build gyro
Total Flight Time
0-actually 2hrs training w/Dustin Howell.
Hello from just east of Dallas.

Where/when are the chapters in Texas meeting and who can I pm for more info.

Thanks
Gary

Chapter 62 meets the third Saturday of each month at Chambers County Airport (Anahuac, TX). Meeting starts at 11am, but someone is always there before 9am. If the meeting dates are not convenient, come by any Saturday. We always have 5-6 of us that hang out, build, and fly every Saturday.

Thanks for the reply.
My schedule should change before Mentone allowing me to come down, but if not, hopefully we can meet up north(where I may to have to use some pto:)
I used to meet with the club in Caddo Mills a long time ago (& before clt was figured out). Unfortunately I witnessed a gyro crash/death in Hearne, TX way back so it kind of spooks a person.
I'll be intouch and thanks again.

Gary, Blue Skies PPC is south of Ft Worth in Blum, TX and Craig McPherson teaches gyro pilots there. Dayton Dabbs teaches out of Taylor TX east of Austin at Lone Star Magni Gyro. Both use modern stable gyros and are very knowledgable and experienced. PM me if I can send further info. I'm near San Antonio. Ray

Many thx!!! I need a teacher who can make me understand gyroplane flight.
Hopefully I can get a few hours of instruction before the trip to Mentone.
I appreciated this month's article on fear.
There's a book called 'Short Hops' listed in older rotorcraft mags.....sounds like a good read for a newby.
Thx again!

Consider the book "Light Sport Gyroplanes" by Ira McComic. It is a good intro to the different types of gyros. The PRA website has several suggestions on gyro flying. Ray

Will do.
Actually wondering if an instructor would want me to go into training not knowing very much about how to fly them.
What I do want to know is a writer's feelings while taking training, what was the hardest thing to master, what fears were truly silly, and that kind of thing. I'm not wanting to know technique before lessons so it doesn't get in the way of what the instructor is trying to teach.
I've known about gyros for 30something years so I'm familiar with most of the oldies, and especially the ones I can afford:)
Probably wait to see what an instructor gives me for training material before buying technique books.
Enjoying going thru the old pra mags.
Thx!

thirdy8special;n1133125 said:
long time ago (& before clt was figured out).

We have now figured out that a good horizontal stabilizer is the key to a stable flight. Most of the newer styled gyros are not CLT, yet they fly stable due to an appropriately sized horizontal stabilizer. AND of course proper training... we can't forget about training.

Gary, one question... what is your end goal/machine/expectations? Which gyro would you be able to afford and keep maintained? Something to ask before going through training. If it is a single seat gyro, there is a transition you'll need to make from the trainer to the single place gyro.

When I was applying for a driver's license, being young and full of vim and vinegar, I didn't know what my end goal was....but....now, many decades later, coming toward my restful years, I know what my end goal is and what I can afford as far as gyros(don't plan on working to 80yrsold:). It'll be something on the cheaper end. May add a windshield and half pod much later, maybe.
Speaking of the devil and he appears, already have a line on a Brock frame(will most likely clt it with some help)
....I gotta keep my big mouth shut;).....I was trying to wait till next year before buying anything. Oh well!

I think the Aug and Dec 2012 pra mags have the drop-down keel examples I'm looking for.

Sounds good to me. I was looking at organising another Welsh Commer Weekend in May for the Commer Van Fan guys usually get about 10-12 turn up. Maybe we could combine?

:)