October 27th Meeting

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
I just want to say THANK YOU to all the members and guests that came to the flyin today. It is and was the last meeting of 2007. Man this year has really flown by. Ha Ha. Met many new friends and fellow rotoheads.

The weather cooperated with lots of sun and a nice breeze. Joe T, Richard K, Dr Jerry R, Spencer R, and myself were there representing Chapter 6. Tom from Chapter 20 who is now living in Missouri. Then there were visitors from Missouri also Bob Gregory, Ron Cummins, Danny Cummins and Daniel Cummins, All of which drove hundreds of miles just to get here. There was also several who flew in with their 152s. Bob Smith who owns a RAF was one of those that flew in in a 152. There was probably 20 people that came thru to look at the gyros and visit with the pilots and got lots of information about the gyros. The gyro pilots were very informative about the sport that we all love.

Our menu at this flyin was Hickory cooked Hamburgers, Bratwurst, and Hot dogs, Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Chips and all the drinks one wanted. We didn't have any problem with e-coli since I was the cook and the burgers were all well done. lol

Richard Kennedy gave us two flight demos and even tho it was windy he did a vertical decent from about 1200 ft AGL that was beautiful. I flew also but only for about 10 minutes. Too much wind for me.. Not for my machine but for me. We had several fly bys from the fixed wingers and Richard K in his beautiful modified KB2.

Joe T and Spencer R compared their tractor gyros. We did a hang test on Joe's and Spencer's. Spencers tractor is just about 20 hours before it will be ready for flight. Both of these machines show the craftmanship which will bring these guy many hours of enjoyment. Thanks to both of you for sharing with us. I was able to share the mod that I have done on my RAF and there were many positive comments about the strength of the mod and how stable it looked from the ground as I flew by. My Soob motor performed flawlessly even in the variable wind. I did the string test on my H/S. Since I didn't have a rope I couldn't tie it off but at 2400 rpm I didn't get any air on top or bottom of the H/S. The testing will continue. I need to get a rope.

All in all it was a very nice and exciting flyin. I really don't have a lot of flyins to compare with but it was great to see my friends again.

This is Bob Gregory, Joe Terminelli, and Spencer Robinson talking about Spencers tractor and watching one of the fixed wingers come in.

Attachments

• Modification 001.jpg
    Modification 001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thom-Sounds like a good fly-in for all. Nothinglike a group of rotorheads! Stan

Here is another of Spencers and Joes tractor. The second is Richard Kennedy and our resident hanger rat Bill Doolin and his dog Blacky.

Attachments

• Modification 002.jpg
    Modification 002.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
  • Modification 003.jpg
    Modification 003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
These are the last two that I have in my camera. I forgot my SD card so with the other pix I had taken it said it was full.\

The first is Richard Kennedy's beautiful KB 2. He really knows how to fly this gyro. Pictures really don't do it justice.

The second is Ron Cummins examining the Grumman his Grandson Daniel was taking a ride in. Ron has a story about balancing on the mains in his Air Command that will put chills up your spine. It happened on Mothers Day this year. He broke his leg and it didn't heal the first time so it had to be reset. Ron thanks for coming, sharing with us and for bringing your Son and Grandson.

Attachments

• Modification 005.jpg
    Modification 005.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • Modification 004.jpg
    Modification 004.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks Tim

We really did. It is great to get around like minded pilots with projects. Man that was really fun. My poor hanger was almost not tall enough to hang the two tractors that Joe T and Spencer R had. We did it tho. Spencer's CG came in between his knees. We didn't take pics of it but we did do the second balanced hang test and it was real easy to see where it was. He just might be an inch or two below CLT. You should see the tires he had. Check the Pix out.