Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magknight
    replied
    The 912 ULS is a 1352 cc engine. The 914 is 1211 cc, basically, a turbo'd 912 UL. All three use the same pressed crank which seems to be a weak link, especially for those with upped power. Not a huge point here, just clarification.

Leave a comment:

• eddie
    replied
    When turbocharging an engine you can gain 7% in HP for every 1 lb of boost,a intercooler is not needed with only 5-6 lbs of boost,

The more pressure that's put on the engine the less reliable it becomes,there is a breaking point for reilabllity Vs HP gain.

A little 1200 cc engine will have smaller/weaker parts,ie the crankshaft.rods ,pistons and valve train.I would think that much HP is

taking it to its limits.

Also turbocharging an engine with carbs is a really bad idea to me.The carbs would have to be designed to work with external

air pressure applied to them as opposed to pulling a vacuum to operate them properly.

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Yes it was last year Don Randle.

The factual report was recently issued.

Leave a comment:

• GyroCFI
    replied
    was this last year? NTSB report is dated 2017?

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Please understand I wasn't there and am not being critical of the pilots decisions.

I often spend time with students trying to learn from others misfortune and reinforce my somewhat extensive safety precautions.

I feel it is best to only fly passengers with a properly running gyroplane.
    The continuing challenges with the engine would have restricted me to flying the pattern solo until I had the issues resolved.

Part of becoming familiar with an airport is to look for emergency landing spots and identify obstructions (wires in this case).

At 500 feet agl I can glide 1,500 feet to find a suitable emergency landing zone. The runway at OXV is 75 feet wide and 4,000 feet long. There are lots of open fields at the departure end of runway 15.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2984.../data=!3m1!1e3

I assume the engine is going to go quiet on every takeoff and prepare for that.

I do not need to check the altimeter to see that I am descending.

Part of the takeoff procedure is to make note of the rate of climb with the vertical speed indicator.

I suspect earlier recognition of the problem would have allowed them to return to the airport.

I feel flying closed traffic the pattern should always be within gliding distance of the runway.

Before I leave the runway environment I check that the temperatures and pressures are in the green.

I suspect the engine tachometer and manifold pressure gage provided information that the engine was not at takeoff power long before they left the runway environment.

I wasn't there so I don't know what other challenges existed.

These are just some thoughts to perhaps make your takeoff procedures safer.
    Last edited by Vance; 04-20-2018, 07:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Riley
    replied
    Hmph. Hot-rodding a 1200 cc engine to make 135 hp? Really?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X