Shout out to Tango-Gyro!

jakalope

After originally meeting in Mentone, I just spent the past few days meeting with Alex and Paul from Tango Gyro (father and son business), visiting the assembly shop in Roswell GA, and going to the Cedartown airport to see and fly the finished product.

First off, I want to thank Alex and Paul for their hospitality last week. They are both really good guys. I probably spent 20 hours or more with Alex, asking questions about every nut and bolt. He gladly answered then all. I had the opportunity to fly both the fuel injected and the carbureted Tango2 models (Thanks Kurt Carlsen and CFI Jon Carleton for helping make that happen). Took a total of three flights. They flew great! I was really impressed. The FI Yamaha 130 hp lifted around 480 lbs of pilots off with ease. Both flew really well, the FI 130hp had me hooked, and for the extra 1500.00, why not. Takeoff was so smooth and the flying was great! Rotor blades were very smooth too (also from TangoGyro). Then after flying, we drove back to the shop to look at what’s in the works and get more questions answered. I felt good that Alex was so willing to show me around and explain anything about the gyros I wanted to know. I was able to see a few under various states of construction. These are really well engineered, well thought out flying machines. They are able to keep the price down by using Yamaha power and simple, practical systems. Their focus on safety and functionality was comforting. It was apparent to me that this is a real passion for these guys. They have done a great job building a well-built machine for a very reasonable price. They can build you a tango with pretty much anything you want, from the basics to just about any add on, they will do it.

On my last day there, I signed the paper work and have my Tango2 in production now. Hopefully it’ll be done in the next few weeks. I’ll keep you posted.

Yep, this one’s mine!

https://www.facebook.com/TangoGyro/posts/1439872332757880

John

Wow, fuel injected 130 hp and less money. I like it!

Did you see any with BIG tires (tundra tires) or did they happen to mention if that might be an option?

Is that a storage compartment in the nose?

Yes, plenty of power for me. (Disclaimer: I'm new to gyros. I have been in aviation, flying, in one form or another for 20 plus years. I have 10.6 hours in the MTO and about 2 in the Tangos. That's my gyro time and I look forward to building a lot more hours coming up)...As far as the tires go, they did not have any set up like that. You can look up the website for tangogyro and there is an email, if you wanted to ask them about it. I would guess that it would not be a problem though. The panel in the front is pretty much the same as the MTO's. I think it's more of an access panel to get access to the pedals and behind the instrument panel. No baggage there. That's my guess as to why it's there.

The Yellow Tango 2 located at the Polk County Airport in Cedartown, GA with the 3 Cylinder FI Yamaha is rated at 135 HP. With the change from a 3 blade prop to a 4 blade prop it is now getting static thrust readings of 560 lbs as tested this summer at an altitude of 975 feet!

Re the above mentioned Auto-Gyro MTOsport - the panel upfront - is for light storage

the POH tells us

""Storage compartment in nose section
Maximum weight in storage compartment..................................................10 kg""

Eric S;n1124296 said:

Did you see any with BIG tires (tundra tires) or did they happen to mention if that might be an option?

Is that a storage compartment in the nose?

We are currently prototyping the luggage compartment for the nose of the Tangos... we are also exploring the capabilities of adding Tundra tires on the machines.

I just got off the phone with Alex. He called to see exactly where I wanted the radio mounted. Skyped me to make sure I liked the placement. Nice! Also, going with the four blade prop. On the fuel injected engine, it's good for an extra 55 or 60 Lbs of thrust. Not sure the exact number, but it's close to that.

I just got a text from Paul letting me know that the FAA inspection is complete and the phase 1 testing starts today. The communication with them has been excellent. They have been Skyping with me to make sure things are set up just how I want. They are doing a really great job. This looks nice! I'm at work right now, so I can't upload picks, but you can see some really nice build pics of my machine on the Tangogyro Facebook page. It's public Facebook, so you don't have to have Facebook. I can hardly wait to get it!!!

Eric S;n1124296 said:

Did you buy the red one? I see they sold it and are putting tundra tires on it.

"On the menu is a setup by BlackMax... Brake calipers, free-floating rotors, split wheels, and a set of Carlisle 15x6.00-6NHS tires"

https://www.facebook.com/TangoGyro/posts/1472161469528966

No Title

It's finished!!! Looks and flies like a dream! I can't believe that a year ago, I was just dreaming about it.

I will say that Alex and Paul were great to do business with. They made sure everything was perfect, and set up just how I wanted it. I would highly recommend them. They even have a CFI (Jon Carleton) in the club, so you can go through the entire process of having your gyro built to your needs, see it being built, and train with CFI Jon Carleton. A one stop shop, and a great bunch of guys there.

I'm a very happy customer. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• photo128654.jpg
    photo128654.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 11
Congratulations John!

Please share the fun of your training adventure.

Looks good, looks exactly like an older model MTO Sport. I'm a little confused though, did you buy a kit or a completed gyro?

Yes, it does look very similar to the MTO sport. There are a lot of things done different on the Tango than the MTO. I have flown both and they are both really nice machines. I bought it completed, but because I purchased it during the build, I was able to have this "customized" a bit, how I like. They were great about making sure that it was built how I wanted. Great communication.

Last edited:
I’ve received several calls and emails from folks asking about My Tango2. Here is an update…

After a few road trips from WI, I completed my training with Ron Menzie, in Searcy AR. I’ve had a handful of good CFIs in my aviation adventure, and I have not flow with a better instructor than Ron. He has A LOT of experience and it was well worth traveling from Wisconsin to Arkansas to train with him. I would highly recommend him.

So, to cut right to it…How do I like the Tango2? Love it. It flies smooth and solid, Yamaha engine runs smooth and produces plenty of power. I’m very happy with my machine.

The customer service has been great. I’ve had a lot of “new guy” questions, ranging from how tight should I torque some nut, what kind of oil…and every step of the way Paul or Alex have been very quick to respond to my questions (usually within minutes). I am very impressed with the customer support I have received. They are never more than a phone call or text away.
I have moved my Gyro up to Wisconsin from Arkansas now, and could not be happier.

Here are some links that I found to be helpful. I hope you do too. They are just some basic maintenance for the Yamaha engine. You’ll find oil change steps, torque specs, parts and information for every piece of the Yamaha engine and instructions on how to use the built in diagnostics. The computer interface on the panel allows you to make all kinds of adjustments and diagnostics (if you need to). This is a very cool feature. I have the fuel injected, so I use the FX nitro for reference.

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_snowmobile_2009/parts

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/just-changed-the-oil.61654/

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/fault-codes-relay-fuse-location-wire-diagram-diagnostics.83992/

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/fx-nytro-faq.58910/#post-514871

Happy Flying,
John

It’s really nice to hear to hear such a positive report from a happy customer, and such instant great support from the seller. Way to go.