Arrow-copter. This is my dream-gyro

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Hello,

This concept has everything I ever dream of in terms of Gyroplane:

Enclosed, main gear works as wing with additional lift. Monocoque body, very light (250kg empty), with Rotax 914.

Hope it will one day become reality.
The only point to consider: Mast is made of composite, too.

http://www.arrow-copter.com/fd-composites_009.htm

Kai.

Attachments

• fd-composites009002.jpg
    fd-composites009002.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6
That's a lot of slab-sided frontal area for that itty-bitty tail!

img_5380.jpg

Hope it will one day become reality.

Well, the prototype will be shown in Salzburg, Austria, this June. I met the designer and builder. Being Austrian, he visited our gyro nest in Fertöszentmiklos and we chatted about his project. He knows what he's doing and he's doing it conscientiously and meticulously.

I can't wait to see this machine fly.

-- Chris.

Arrowcopter-nothing special

Arrowcopter-nothing special

I own a Arrowcopter. Nothing special about it. The service ceiling is only about 300'. Seems a bit under powered.

Attachments

• arrowcopter_full.jpg
    arrowcopter_full.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1
Has he had an engine out with it with a little wind ?

Has he had an engine out with it with a little wind ?

Chris, You say , " He is doing it conscientously and meticulously," but has he experienced an engine out in it with a little wind ? I'll bet not!
I wouldn't put my tender body in a gyro with a large slab sided cabin area and with virtually no tail...Been there - done that, and once was enough .
Marion Springer
Gyro CFI-ret.

That is a very pretty looking gyro. Probably still look good with a scaled up tail.

Got a better pic from the Arrowcopter giving a better aspect of the proportions.

Tail doesn´t look that small from side-view.

Looks beautiful and reminds a little of the Carter Copter design, but as always: form follows function. Gas-Tanks are in the winglets, dunno if front wheel can be retracted.

Maybe we can sée it flyin´still this year. Gonna post photos if so

Angelo

Attachments

• Arrowcopter.jpg
    Arrowcopter.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3
Looking at the side view and placing a horizontal line through prop center line of where the prop would be -- it looks like this an accident waiting to happen. This will be another good looking HIGH THRUST LINE gyro. As it sits 85-90 percent of the weight is BELOW the thrust line. When you add the occupant (s) it will even go farther than that. I realize that the rotor assembly will offset that to some extent -but it wont be nearly enough--

Also if you calculate where the rotor thrust line is - and estimate the CG -there is insufficient verticle fin area to handle low power / engine out situation --except under the best of conditions --

Gawd --why do people --even talented ones continue to design and build gyros based on astestics rather than aerodynamic principles--

Last edited:
Ok I'm starting to get it!
I looked at the profile and thought. Thats looks like it has a awfully high thrust line.
Now you confirm it's true.
You guys are teaching me, thanks so much I'm starting to just see it too.

Lenoid-- Even with the wheel up it is still below the THRUST LINE .. Retracting the wheel MAY raise the CG as much as 1/4". Lets face it a 10# (guess) wheel assy raised up 8-10 inches will have very little effect on the gyro as it is a miniscule amount of weight when compared to the GROSS WEIGHT of the gyro. Also that artists rendition is in all probability inaccurate as to the flying charecteristics of the gyro. Looking at the picture it appears that the gyro is in a slight climb. It is a good looking gyro --but it is definitely a HTL design.

On my gyro I am very close the a true CLT --but I have a very large horiz stab. I use heavy blade blades -the rotor assy weighs over 85# --I tried Dragon wings at 40# -but it affected the handling of the gyro --the teeter bolt of my gyro is 4' above the CG so with that long of a moment arm a 45# decrease in weight has tremendous effect---

Last edited:
I do not know details of this design (nor I can read German). I just noticed on the two photos earlier in the thread (the side one mostly) that air intakes go more up towards the prop (if you can say so) which would mean that in normal flight the nose should be upper to make them level. ... If it is true - then it is not a dramatically HTL.

Xeneon is also slightly upper TL (it as discussed on the forum) the cabin aerodynamics adds up to total stability picture.

It might be a similar case.

A regular gyro would have TL level and the prop thrust adds a bit to the total lift when the nose goes up at the take off, but nobody said It has to be like this.

I just wonder if I'm right.

Leonid

Last edited:
I found this OLD thread and wonder what these opinions are now of one of the nicest if not the finest examples of the newer gyro's.

As is now apparent to me form can follow function.

And really what's wrong with that if it's safe and TRAINING is in place!?;)

I have a thing about T tails. I built a wind tunnel to test all of the different tail designs for a pusher gyro back in 2008 thinking that a V tail would be great. I was right, although Ernie's cruciform tail is the best, the V tail is a close second, and the original Bensen design with the HS ahead of the VS is unbelievably stable! And I discovered the T tail stinks - it is by far the worst design of all, which tells me that anyone whoever designed a gyro with one did absolutely zero testing of models in a wind tunnel, quite obviously. And if they didn't bother to test aerodynamics of their design, what the hell are they doing designing and selling anything that flies and that my life depends on? Just goes to show you can sell anything so long as you find a sucker to buy it and call it experimental. Major faux pas in my book and a seriously good reason to pass this gyro up. You see, as the prop wash twists and hits the T, this design catches it in one quadrant only and causes major adverse yaw which when coupled with a crosswind can create completely unnecessary control issues. Get a real tail. WIth the Bensen, the HS is ahead of the VS and the wind slips right by without getting trapped and causing problems. Imagine that.

I'm in agreement with you Mike about the vast difference between the large forward side surface area with the fuselage and the diminutive surface area the the vertical stabilizer.

Greg, I do certainly like the size and amount of surface area you have on your tandem Air Command.

Jerry, I have a story about the toy Arrowcopter. In April of 1968 I was playing with my recently acquired Arrowcopter toy in front of my house when it was caught in a tree. I went into my house to get my football to dislodge the toy when I found my mother sobbing in front of the TV. The announcement just came through that Dr. Martin Luther King had been shot.

Wayne

The Arrowcopter has been around for that long ??? I don't think so !