No announcement yet.

Arrow-copter. This is my dream-gyro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coriolis effect is an imaginary force that exists only in the eye of the beholder.

An artillery shell fired in a N-S direction appears to travel a curved path when viewed from the Earthís surface but viewed from space, follows a straight line just as Newton says it must.

Here'ís a good illustration of Coriolis effect:

ttps://media2.giphy.com/media/VvFICl2BfX5D2/200w.gif#19-grid1

When the ball is tossed across the rotating table, it appears to follow a curved path to the observer standing on and rotating with the table, but to the stationary observer, follows a straight line.

Rotor blades donít speed up-slow down or lead-lag when viewed from their real axis of rotation, the tip plane axis. Viewed from anything except their real axis, we can imagine they do all sorts of strange things.
    Last edited by C. Beaty; 09-24-2017, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Beaty View Post
      Coriolis effect is an imaginary force that exists only in the eye of the beholder.

When the ball is tossed across the rotating table, it appears to follow a curved path to the observer standing on and rotating with the table, but to the stationary observer, follows a straight line.
      Absolutely correct. The Coriolis force only turns "real" when the rotating observer insists on making the ball go straight in his frame of reference.

-- Chris.
      Read about my trip across the USA in an MT03 gyro here.

Comment

Chris (churz7000) PM sent to you, not sure if it worked, PM me your email.
        Mike

Comment

Gaspard Coriolis originated the concept of an imaginary force to explain the imaginary curvature of the ballís path as it moves across the table. Just to keep Newton happy.

Comment

Well I sure am glad you all agree on that.....just like Gravity IS Space - Time! LOL! Good discussion.

Comment

Working...
            X