• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like fun James.

Take care,

Rick

Comment

• 3 Little Wings

Thanks Rick :) . I am back. We drove from Michigan to Norgewock(?) Maine last week to pick up one of the original 3 2 place LW3 2 place machines we built in Indiana. This brings my mini fleet to 3. I was contacted by the previous purchacer regarding buying back the frame and parts we sold to him.

Apparently the owner felt that at 92 years old it was unrealistic for him to complete the project and wanted to know if I would buy it back. We drove through Canada with an empty trailer to Maine. We left from his house and went down to Newport R.I. to visit my godfather an then came back through Cleveland to avoid possible border questions.

Here is a photo of them taken today as it was so nice out.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mcbirdman; 07-23-2014, 08:47 PM.
      James McNeilly
      ppsel

Generalizations are false, generally speaking.....

Comment

• Little Wing

Hi, i have my Little Wing for sale on Barnstormers. Im still flying it, but working on another tractor gyro. What are your plans for your gyros?
        I hope you will complete and fly all three. I would like to talk with you about your gyros. If you can give me a call evenings or email me:
        Phone: 276-686-4210 email: antkradio@smyth.net
        Fred Perdue

Comment

• Originally posted by LW-3Virginia View Post
          Hi, i have my Little Wing for sale on Barnstormers. Im still flying it, but working on another tractor gyro. What are your plans for your gyros?
          I hope you will complete and fly all three. I would like to talk with you about your gyros. If you can give me a call evenings or email me:
          Phone: 276-686-4210 email: antkradio@smyth.net
          Fred Perdue
          Fred,

You might consider a link to the Barnstormers ad.
          I could not find it.

Rick

Comment

• Fred - I will.
            When I left Maine with the third Little Wing I drove 4 hours South to Newport RI. to see my Godfather for a few days. The day before we left I got a phone call from the guy in upstate NY who has a red single place LW. He had contacted Ron about the possibility of someone selling a project and was calling me. We laughed and I said I will be sort of passing by there with one on a trailer as I make my way home - I will stop by tomorrow.
            We stopped by Jim Scharer's house and saw his beautiful machine. He is the one who has those nifty blade clamps and the White Army Star and stripe markings in faded white. Anyway, it was a fun stopover and we really enjoyed visiting with each other. He wanted to buy the one I had so he could save a lot of time building a two seater for a friend of his. He is very capable guy and should be able to whip one out fairly easily again.

As things hopefully continue to improve for me, I hope to be able to do more meaningful building on the 2nd and 3rd. I think the economy has affected a lot of people besides me and that hopefully things can improve if we change our current direction on almost all fronts. I see there is guy that is selling a basic frame for 6k and a finished VW powered machine for 40k. I kinda feel that if given the chance to finish another, probably not that much harder to make 2 parts at a time. Once there is a frame with the main parts fitted - it gets more fun outfitting it with the specific systems. I like that part.
            James McNeilly
            ppsel

Generalizations are false, generally speaking.....

Comment

• Hi Rick, i think you checked Barnstormers about the same time my ad ran out.
              Its reposted by my son. Search : Little Wing
              Have a good day, Fred

Comment

• Little Wing

Hi, my son put my Little Wing back on Barnstormers again. Check it out. Fred

Comment

• Little Wing sold

Hi guys, ive sold my Little Wing to a guy from La. down south on the gulf coast. Im still working on my tail dragger tractor project almost every day.
                  I was able to trailer it to Carolina Barnstormers meet in Qctober where I did the hang test and run the engine for the first time. Had a few problems which ive already fixed.
                  I hope to get my airworthiness inspection in Feb. if I can quit changing things!
                  So how are your projects going? Fred from Virginia

Comment

• Hi;
                    I'm new to the group, just sent my check to Ron Herron for Little Wing plans. I'm looking to resurrect this thread.
                    I know I'm late for the party, but I'm here nonetheless. I've built a VAN's RV-8 and powered it's first 16 hours of flight with a Mazda Turbo Rotary that I built up.
                    I'm ready to learn aircraft quality welding and take on the low speed end of the flight spectrum. I'm very interested in the LW-5, which I intend to build with few to no alterations.
                    I want to get into Autogyro flight with the highest possibility for success. Later craftiness could lead to jump take-off and DeGraw stuff, but for now, I'm drawn to the LW-5 as designed.
                    We also have ultralight fliers, hang gliders, antique restorers, Cessna 170's and Competition Aerobatic pilots on our airpark. This will be interesting, especially with the rural mountain and valley flight possibilities for a low and slow flier that could take some cross winds and drafts...

Comment

• Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Scott,

There is a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had.

I look forward to following your progress.
                      Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

• While waiting on the Little Wing plans, I practiced some GTAW (TIG) welding today.
                        Only stuck the Tungsten once! Ugly! But I got good penetration and an acceptable amount of fill.
                        I'll be able to do this!

Comment

• Glad you are making progress Scott.

The frame is nicely trussed and several welds could fail without causing a flight critical structural failure.

The clusters will be the challenge and welding upside down.

As I recall Ron gas welded his first Little Wing frames.
                          Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

• The Little Wing prints and plans arrived today. The plans provide information on Ron's Ultra pup, LW-2, LW-3 LW-2+2, LW-4 & LW-5. They are kinda jumbled up in the spiral bound 8-1/2"x14" book of 189 pages. There are lots of drawings and pictures. Also 4 large print sets of the fuselage tubing weldaments for the different models. The 2 place long version has a very good print set.
                            I don't understand the rotor system very well. There are Morse cable control systems and push rod systems, which I think are intended for the single seat craft. There is no 'Assembly Manual' but the book has lots of notes with the drawings and photos. There is also an addenda for updates and corrections.
                            This is going to be a pretty complex job. I'll be ordering 4130 steel and building the welding table soon...

Comment

Working...
                            X