Astral tractor gyroplane

My first idea was to install a prerotator with pump and hydraulic motor.
testing was not a success, now for the same weight I installed a prerotator with an engine RAKET 120 (9 Kg).
Another idea would be to install a brushless electric motor connected to a brushless alternator, it is coupled to the ROTAX 914 directly to the crankshaft, the disadvantage weight and cost !!

Last edited:
I fear that the clutch slips too long time at beginning of launch (20 seconds ?). On a paramotor, it slips less than 1 sec.
Can it bear the heat of such sliding?
En tout cas, félicitations pour tes travaux, René.

Very cool project. I may have missed it in the posting. What engine are you planning to use???

I install the ROTAX engine 914 from the broken Calidus, (65 hours)

It's spring
The gasoline, oil, cooling, electric circuits are finished, the RAKET120 motor of the prerotator is installed, start-up of the 914 engine after 2 years and a half of stop.
The pneumatic circuit remains.
Flight tests are coming soon

Suspension without the stabilizer and control surfaces to see the angle.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img110.xooimage.com\/files\/7\/1\/e\/img_1965-51f5972.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img110.xooimage.com\/files\/a\/a\/e\/autogire-astral_img_1973-51f5930.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
On 4 July 2017 first pre-rotate of the 8,7m rotor profile AVERSO with a RAKET 120 heat engine.
A dozen tests to pre-start the rotor from 200 to 220 rpm, open gas at half the stroke. The reduction is 30 the engine rotates between 6000 and 6600 rpm, (the max of the power is at 9000T / min)
The centrifugal clutch slips to about 90 rpm then just add power.No overheating the clutch or changing the color of the bell.
The engine noise measure with the IPHONE 90-95 decibel like a lawn mower !!

Good start to test flight next week at EPERNAY in Champagne.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img110.xooimage.com\/files\/8\/e\/9\/astral_r_img_2182-529becf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Beau travail, René !
Ne crois-tu pas que l'équilibrage de ton lanceur par des ressorts ne t'oblige à pousser le manche (au lieu de tirer) pendant les virages quand le poids apparent varie ?
Mais je suis trop pessimiste, car je craignais aussi la surchauffe de votre embrayage .
Tous mes voeux de succès pour le prochain week end.

Nice work, René!
Do not you think that the balancing of your thermic launcher by springs does not force you to push the stick (instead to pull) during the turns when the apparent weight increases?
But I'm too pessimistic, because I was afraid overheat of your clutch .
I Wishes you full success for the next weekend.

Last edited:
Jean-Claude
Les ressorts equilibrent juste le poids du moteur auxilliaire sans le rotor, avec le poids du rotor la tête rotor bascule légèrement en arrière, il y a un vérin pneumatique pour ajuster le trim en tangage

The springs just balance the weight of the auxiliary motor without the rotor, with the weight of the rotor the rotor head tilts back slightly, there is a pneumatic cylinder to adjust the trim in pitch

Last edited:
L'immense intérêt du décalage du moyeu en arrière du pivot de tangage, comme l'a préconisé Igor Bensen, est que toute turbulence tendant à augmenter la portance produit un couple sur le plateau tendant à réduire automatiquement l'angle du plateau, et par conséquent la portance. Cela crée comme tu le sais une grande amélioration de la stabilité en tangage.
La masse de ton prélanceur sur le plateau risque de réduire, voire d'inverser cet effet, car alors l'augmentation de g sur cette masse produit un couple tendant au contraire à augmenter l'angle du plateau.

The advantage of shifting the hub behind the pitch pivot, as recommended by Igor Bensen, is that any turbulence tending to increase the lift produces a torque on the plate tending to automatically reduce his angle, and consequently the lift. This creates, as you know, a great improvement in pitch stability.
The mass of your pre-spiner on the plate may reduce or even reverse this effect, because then the increase of g on this mass produces a torque tending to increase the angle of the plate.

Last edited:
Sorry, Jean-Claude,

The offset of the picth axis is an invention of Juan de la Cierva. It was set in his direct control rotor head

No Title

Arco;n1122161 said:
Sorry, Jean-Claude,

The offset of the picth axis is an invention of Juan de la Cierva. It was set in his direct control rotor head

Yes, you are right !

Looking at the photos of René, they shows that the lever arm of the launcher weight about 8 times more than the offset of the rotor thrust.
Thus, 1 extra G produces a torque on the plate say 700 lbs * offset
While the weight of the launcher opposes only about 16 lbs * 8 * offset, ie 130 lbs * offset
No problem, but it is better to check than to cure

Attachments

• photo127991.png
    photo127991.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yesterday Tuesday 22 August I realized the first flight of the autogyro ASTRAL with the help of Franck super gyroplane instructor. The take-off is similar to the flight of the Spanish gyroplane the PHENIX. The presentation of the video will be soon.

Bravo Réné. Will you bring the ASTRAL to Blois?
Mike G

Mike G;n1123771 said:
Bravo Réné. Will you bring the ASTRAL to Blois?
Mike G

Hello Mike
I would be in Blois on weekends, the ASTRAL autogyro is at the very beginning of the tests.
Maybe I'll meet you
René

René
Je serai à Blois Samedi, appelle-moi 0668498795 pour se donner rdv.
Mike G

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img110.xooimage.com\/files\/1\/f\/5\/img_2202-52eb278.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img110.xooimage.com\/files\/4\/c\/b\/img_2206-52eb292.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Ready for flight

Last edited: