Astral tractor gyroplane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C. Beaty View Post
    Surprisingly, efficiency appears to be better on the rear engine than the front one.
    My guess is that there is flow separation on the belly of a 377 with rear engine out.
    Chuck. The drag of a same shape is always more high in the prop wash, because the airspeed is higher there. Not sure that the flow is smoother during the operation of rear engine.
    Last edited by Jean Claude; 08-13-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

JC, specs for a Cessna 377 “Mixmaster”:
      A non-turbo 1967 model has a single-engine ceiling of 7,500 feet with the rear engine out, and 9,500 feet with the front engine shut down. Surprisingly, efficiency appears to be better on the rear engine than the front one.

My guess is that there is flow separation on the belly of a 377 with rear engine out.
      Chuck,
      I think you mean the 337, and you're right about the difference in single engine climb performance. A popular mod for that was to remove the rear landing gear doors oddly enough.
      Randy

Comment

Randy, I’ve seen 337s with a belt of turbulators under the belly, just before the upsweep to the prop. Their purpose, I suppose, was to help keep the flow attached.

Were the turbulators a Cessna mod of an aftermarket mod?

Sorry to disrupt your thread, René; it is refreshing to see creativity rather than the usual slavish copying.

Comment

Randy, I’ve seen 337s with a belt of turbulators under the belly, just before the upsweep to the prop. Their purpose, I suppose, was to help keep the flow attached.

Were the turbulators a Cessna mod of an aftermarket mod?

Sorry to disrupt your thread, René; it is refreshing to see creativity rather than the usual slavish copying.
          Chuck,
          That is one mod for that aircraft that I have not heard of till now. There are a slew of them though and all of them from aftermarket vendors. Interestingly enough Cessna went on to produce the 172RG,182RG and 177 w/o gear doors as soon as they saw how well they worked when removed from the 337.
          Randy

Comment

These turbulators try to suppress detachment of the flow.
            Can they succeed?

NASA tested the efficiency of turbulators in a wind tunnel ?

Comment

Very nice...looks oddly familiar...
              Phenix Aero International, LLC website:
              www.phenixgyro.com
              Adaptive Flight Foundation website: www.adaptiveflightfoundation.org
              Phenix Aero International, Spain website:
              www.phenix.aero
              Phenix Aero International Facebook page:
              www.facebook.com/PhenixAeroInternational

Aquila non captat muscas

Comment

My first idea was to install a prerotator with pump and hydraulic motor.
                testing was not a success, now for the same weight I installed a prerotator with an engine RAKET 120 (9 Kg).
                Another idea would be to install a brushless electric motor connected to a brushless alternator, it is coupled to the ROTAX 914 directly to the crankshaft, the disadvantage weight and cost !!

Last edited by René; 09-16-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I fear that the clutch slips too long time at beginning of launch (20 seconds ?). On a paramotor, it slips less than 1 sec.
                  Can it bear the heat of such sliding?
                  En tout cas, félicitations pour tes travaux, René.

Comment

Very cool project. I may have missed it in the posting. What engine are you planning to use???
                    Please stay safe!!!
                    Heath

N910NE
                    (No 911 or No emergency!)
                    Aviomania Convertible Gyroplane
                    First to fly in the USA!!!

Comment

I install the ROTAX engine 914 from the broken Calidus, (65 hours)

Comment

It's spring
                        The gasoline, oil, cooling, electric circuits are finished, the RAKET120 motor of the prerotator is installed, start-up of the 914 engine after 2 years and a half of stop.
                        The pneumatic circuit remains.
                        Flight tests are coming soon

Suspension without the stabilizer and control surfaces to see the angle.

Last edited by René; 04-01-2017, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Anxiously awaiting first flights reports, Rene!
                          Thank you for the newest photos.

Comment

From Friedrichafen!

Comment

I add 2 springs to compensate the auxiliary engine

Comment

Working...
                              X