M912 questions

Burnt2

I'll qualify this post by saying I'm not a pilot, yet.

I'm the anesthetist for a small missions hospital in
northern Mexico (MexicoMedical.org), in the Sierra Madre mountains, about 7,500 ft elevation.

Our hospital has a carbon cub from cubcrafters for bush flights, and we have a pretty extensive network of runways into different villages.

The hospital director and I are both very interested in gyrocopters for this area.... In fact, the director (an orthopedic surgeon and commercial pilot) flew about 7 hours worth sportcopter in Oregon a few years ago.

I've been doing a lot of research and am planning on getting my PPL to fly gyrocopters, with the eventual intention of flying here in the mountains.

Which brings up the m912.

I've read all of the documentation/FAQ on the sportcopter website, along with every forum post, build log, and review that I can find, and I still have some questions:

1) is there a complete build offering, through their building assistance program? E.g. buying a completed aircraft.

2) how much extra would a 914 (turbo) be?

3) how much do the aux gas tanks increase the range?

4) how are the flight characteristics for high elevation flight?

5) how does the vortex handle crosswinds?

6) is there any way to add some kind of cargo spot anywhere, to hold about 30lbs (an ultralight internal frame backpack), or does that mess with center of gravity too much. I weigh 164 lbs.

Really appreciate any insights of any kind.

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Eric!

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Eric!

I'll qualify this post by saying I'm not a pilot, yet.

I'm the anesthetist for a small missions hospital in
northern Mexico (MexicoMedical.org), in the Sierra Madre mountains, about 7,500 ft elevation.

Our hospital has a carbon cub from cubcrafters for bush flights, and we have a pretty extensive network of runways into different villages.

The hospital director and I are both very interested in gyrocopters for this area.... In fact, the director (an orthopedic surgeon and commercial pilot) flew about 7 hours worth sportcopter in Oregon a few years ago.

I've been doing a lot of research and am planning on getting my PPL to fly gyrocopters, with the eventual intention of flying here in the mountains.

Which brings up the m912.

I've read all of the documentation/FAQ on the sportcopter website, along with every forum post, build log, and review that I can find, and I still have some questions:

1) is there a complete build offering, through their building assistance program? E.g. buying a completed aircraft.

2) how much extra would a 914 (turbo) be?

3) how much do the aux gas tanks increase the range?

4) how are the flight characteristics for high elevation flight?

5) how does the vortex handle crosswinds?

6) is there any way to add some kind of cargo spot anywhere, to hold about 30lbs (an ultralight internal frame backpack), or does that mess with center of gravity too much. I weigh 164 lbs.

Really appreciate any insights of any kind.

1. In the USA to an Experimental Amateur built aircraft must be built in part by the owner. I don’t know what the rules are in Mexico. I have heard that Jim at Sport Copter builds complete aircraft for some markets. Call him.

2. A 914 is typically around $10,000 more than a 912. Call Jim for a better answer.

3. To give you an idea of the extra range a 914 in a light gyroplane typically burns less than five gallons per hour.

4. In my opinion the Sport Copter Vortex is particularly well suited to your application, both altitude and rough field.

5. An experienced pilot in a gyroplane can fly in winds that will keep most airplanes on the ground. My personal limit at my home airport is 35kts with a ten knot gust spread. I don’t fly a Sport Copter so I can’t be specific. Call Jim.

6. There is always a way to add some luggage space and you are light enough to where the extra weight is not a problem. It is important to keep things secured and out of the propeller.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

I fly a M912 Vortex Sportcopter so can answer your questions. I operate off field at 4000msl and the 912 performs well at this altitude with my 190 lb weight, but I would want a turbo for 7,000msl. My aux fuel tanks hold 10 gals, so that is another two hours, making a total flight time of a good 3 hours with 3 gal reserve.
Cross winds do not bother me, since I always land into the wind as the Vortex M912 will land with zero roll. To land in a small area into the wind, I do a vertical descent, then push over to gain 45 mph to flair.
As for a cargo pod, Jim Vanek at Sportcopter would be glad to design something for under the belly of the Vortex. This would be easy. I attach a small bag below the seat to hold emergency needs, but there is not enough room for a backpack.
Flights at high altitude require close attention to rotor speed, down drafts would be a real problem, so mountain flying skills are critical. More power is a good solution.
Jim has a assisted build program at Scappoose, but you have to do 51% of the work, but it is nice to have their personnel there to provide assistance, plus it is faster.

Wow, thank you guys for your responses, that clarifies a lot, especially since I imagine there are a lot of wannabes that post, who never follow through. I will definitely get a hold of Jim once i start to get concrete with moving forward.

Any thoughts about an MTO for this application? I'm reading a lot about them being used in Australia, which fits the bush style flying, albeit at lower altitudes.

In my opinion an MTO Sport with a 914 would probably work for what you want to do.

The takeoff roll will be longer than a Sport Copter Vortex with a 914.

I have flown an MTO Sport out of an airport at 7,500 foot density altitude two up near maximum take off weight and it worked fine.

The MTO Sport does not have as much suspension as the Sport Copter Vortex so it may not be as good on a rough field takeoff.

Getting into the two place tandems opens up a lot of possibilities.

Look up Celier version of Zenon /Xenon - Polish enclosed sidexside gyro ... they have a version equipped for stretcher - medi-evac!

Last edited:
""they have a version equipped for stretcher - medi-evac! ""

Nope.

That version is offered by Celier.

OOOOps

OOOOps

""they have a version equipped for stretcher - medi-evac! ""

Nope.

That version is offered by Celier.

My bad ..... it's hard to keep up with who's -who / what's what in that AAT-Celier boondogle!!!

Ag sprayer, fire-spotters, high-tech mapping, medivac, 3-place gyro , ...they have come up with a variety of utility-versions ... between the two offshoots of the first Xenon!