Engine choices..

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
I am tinkering with the idea of more power, not only because of some extra weight I may want to add to my sportcopter, but because of some extra weight I added to myself as well! My question is the upgrade to the 582 two stroke is about $5000 or so but only gets me about 15 hp difference. The next jump up in power is a 4 stroke 912 series which will run me about 15-20 thousand and have tons of power.
Is there nothing in between that will get me the power upgrade at a decent value? I know that rotax did away with the 618 and I really would prefer a proven powerplant that is currently produced for support and parts. If it is a 4 stroke thats even better, but not necessary.
Hope there is an answer out there.
Ben S

Ben,
if your are not in a hurry, Ron will probably add up some serious hours on the Yamaha engine this summer. you could have the power of the 912 at the cost of the 582 if the engine continues to do well.

618 parts are still available for watercraft as well (Sea-doo)
I would love to see someone try a 750 weber out of a fst polaris snowmobile as well
I have one of those sleds and love it.
Smooth reliable and half the noise of the yamaha and really good on gas.
These are also fuel injected so no carb or icing issues.

Scott...

Scott...

Not computer literate, what does PM me mean?
Ben S

PM = send Private Message!

Ben if you look towards the top of the page you will see a light blue bar that begins with Home then Forums User CP FAQ etc

Click on the User C(ontrol) P(anel) and in the drop down menu on the right you will find the Private message controls.:)

Rhino, I think that the weber 750 would be perfect, especially since it is already set up with mounting holes on the PTO end, it would be easy to build an adapter plate.

if your are not in a hurry, Ron will probably add up some serious hours on the Yamaha engine this summer. you could have the power of the 912 at the cost of the 582 if the engine continues to do well.

The word on the street is that Ron has over 30 hours on the Yamana engine already.

I'm flying a lightning...

I'm flying a lightning...

but will be soon upgrading it to the vortex if I can.
Ben S

Any one considered either the Jabiru

Any one considered either the Jabiru

2200 or one of the hks 700 series?

The Jabaru has serious cooling problems in the pusher configuration. the HKS seems to be a bit better but seem to have less power than the 582 for more weight gain. If you have a 503 on it and are thinking of going 582, well that what I did on the Dominator and the difference is night and day, I'd recommend the 582
paddy

618 parts are still available for watercraft as well (Sea-doo)
I would love to see someone try a 750 weber out of a fst polaris snowmobile as well
I have one of those sleds and love it.
Smooth reliable and half the noise of the yamaha and really good on gas.
These are also fuel injected so no carb or icing issues.

I have my eye on one, just not able to build another gyro right now.

helipaddy, that is exactly what ..

helipaddy, that is exactly what ..

I am trying to determine is if the money spent is worth the performance increase. I am glad to hear that you think it is worth it. I could always sell the 503 to help pay for the upgrade, but if I decide I want to do it, I may just put the 503 on a pallet in laay up just in case the 582 ever goes down.
I like the IDEA of a 4 stroke, but have never even had so much as a burp in the 2 stroke so I guess I don't really have any reason to be wary of the rotax.
Can you still fly lazy and slow with the 582 or does the increase in weight mean you have to push the engine harder all the time?
Ben S

Ben,
I flew my KB4 this weekend at about 30mph in clam air. 5400 rpm. Gaspard was flying an ultrawhite 503 beside me and taking some video at the same time. He said You kept slowing down and slowing down. It was because Scott was taking off from the ground and I was taking pictures of Scott as he became airborne. I did not want to get in front of him. I will see if I can post some video. I think the 582 is a great engine for a gyro. I just like the fuel burn of a 4 stroke. Also I fly 22 ft DW , 345lb gyro, 230 lb pilot without clothes, and 9 gallons of fuel.

Last edited:
Yep, you can fly it exactly as you did with the 503, just use less throttle! The engine weight difference is not that much, the 503 weighs more than the 582 (engine block alone) but you have to add a radiator and coolant so you will gain a few pounds, but not much. plus the 582 just slots on using the 503 mounting holes.
So if you wanted a no hassle upgrade I'd go with the 582

thank you..

thank you..

Just what I was wanting to hear, now all I have to do is come up with the moolah.
Ben S