rugged Sport Copter M912 hardly damaged after rough terrain crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rugged Sport Copter M912 hardly damaged after rough terrain crash

Click image for larger version  Name:	rugged M912 survives terrain.png Views:	1 Size:	538.8 KB ID:	1135505

(From the archives -- I've no owner or location data to post. Forced landing was due to overly strong downdrafts.)

The rotors and upper mast were damaged (although staying intact), but the rest of the gyro well withstood the drama and was easily fixed.
    And that's after ending up inverted on a hillside.

Sport Copter's use of custom-order heavy-duty Aurora XAM-6 rod ends (17,508lbs static load) seems to have paid off.
    One gimbal arm nut was stripped off its bolt.

What other make of gyro is so rugged?

One mfg. (Trixy) takes the opposite philosophy, and actually boasts about the "
    Designed to Survive" fragility of their hollow stainless steel mast (which crumples upon impact):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trixy stainless steel mast.png Views:	1 Size:	251.6 KB ID:	1135506

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trixy gyro broken mast.png Views:	2 Size:	206.7 KB ID:	1135507

Last edited by Kolibri; 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM.
    PP - ASEL complex (Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"
    When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

finaly some one hwo has expirenced flying gyro in downdraft / rotorwind .. it would be intresting to hear details - windspeed. turbulence flying height airspeed was there any atempt for recovery

Comment

The Sport Copter shown in the original photos *might be" N911GW which had an accident in Feb 2016

There was a thread about it here on RWF.

I've no idea why but I can't see it among the NTSB Monthly reports for Feb 2016

Here's the original RWF thread

https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/ge...rt-copter-down

Comment

Question...did the pilots of these crashes survive?

Comment

Yes, pilot survived, and actually walked away without even a scratch.

It crunched the tail [of N911GW].

Since the tail was not damaged, it was not N911GW.
          Last edited by Kolibri; 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM.
          PP - ASEL complex (Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"
          When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
            Question...did the pilots of these crashes survive?
            Three accidents, one fatality in Australia, no fatalities in the two USA accidents.
            Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

I was speaking only of the crash and photo I posted about.

The Australian fatality had little/no training and hit a tree.
              It was moot that he did so in an M912 vs. something else. Just sayin'.

"

Comment

Working...
              X