Barnett J3M

okikuma

I was going through some old photos and I came across several that I took at Ken Brock's airstrip of Jim Eich's J3M gyroplane. Does anyone know what happened to Jim Eich's J3M gyrocopter after his passing?

Thanks,

Wayne

Attachments

• J3M2.jpg
    J3M2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 18
  • J3M3.jpg
    J3M3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 18
  • J3M4.jpg
    J3M4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 15
  • J3M5.jpg
    J3M5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I talked to Jim several times at the KBFFs. He was always very friendly and easy to talk to. When I heard he had passed, I thought a good way to honor Jim would be to buy and restore his Gyro. I was never able to find out where it went.

Hi Dennis,

I spoke to Jim a number of times too when he was alive. A very nice guy. Jim mentioned that his J3M flew very close to the J4B. The gyro had a Continental A-65 with an 8 gallon fuel tank under the seat. When I asked, Jim said that the CG was about 3 to 4 inches below the prop thrust line, but was very stable in flight.

If you noticed in the photos, Jim used a Brock prerotator from a KB3. It seemed to spin up the rotor just fine even though his take off roll was about 1,000 feet on the day I took the photos. In his defense, I didn't think Jim was in a hurry to get off the ground, knowing he had plenty of runway. His climb out seemd to be at a leasurely 300 - 400 fpm.

Wayne

That gyro was built well before the KB3 came out. I saw prerotators of that style in Florida back in the seventies.

Hi Tom,

That is correct, the J3M was built in the late 60's. Jim himself told me that the pretotator is a KB3 Brock unit. Notice that the rotor head is not the current Barnett offset spindle type, but more like a Bensen.

Happy New Year,

Wayne

Does anyone know where I could get plans for this thing? I understand there may be some aerodynamic problems (HTL) that should be considered. I'm really more interested from a collector's perspective. There are a number of rare, unique, or long-gone aircraft like for which I'd like to acquire more plans or photos. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Next to Jim's gyro is Gary Brewers RAF. His was one of the first. The cabin is the older style. Next to Gary's RAF is Joe Souza's Bandit. Looks like they were parked near Ken's hangar. It must have been the year it rained out the lake bed.