Registration

ddsrph

Aircraft
Vans RV3
Total Flight Time
There is a good article on gyros in the new issue of Sport Aviation. They show a single seat 582 Dominator and call it an ultralight. Is this possible? Are some Dominators able to avoid registration and be classed as ultralight? What would this standard dominator weight?

Thanks
JM

I have not seen a Dominator that was ultralight legal Jim.

Vance
Thanks, I thought so. It was probably just an error on the author’s part. When building are there gyro DAR’s or does the FAA rep end up signing off on the build.

Could be a miss spelling for the Dom. UltraWhite which weighs about 300 Lbs. with a Rotax 503. The Dominator with the pod, 40 Lbs. more.

Jim, the FAA will inspect it free, a DAR will charge for the inspection, I had the FAA do the inspection ( airworthiness certificate ). A local DAR wanted $500.00 to do the inspection.

I noticed another error in that article. It said that the Calidus was the only type certified gyroplane. The Cavalon is also type certified.

The Dominator in the photo shows N559RD on the tailplane (if you look really close), so it is apparently not operated as UL.

The registry shows it belonging to Paul Minear (Ramsey, MN), but the amusing part is that he lives on Xenon Street!

No Title

Ernie did build one true ultralight Dominator years back, it's been discussed about before.

There are a few additional pictures of it somewhere on the forum, notice the electric propeller motors on the blades for a pre-rotator.

Attachments

• photo128143.jpg
    photo128143.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
I saw those numbers along the lower edge but couldn’t quite make them out. Was thinking a legal N number should be 3 inch numbers. I have noticed at least locally the FAA is trying to push builders into using DARs.

You can hand-start Dragon Wings, but it takes patience and some finesse. Doing without a prerotator could save you enough weight to come very close to Part 103. Then use a 2-blade wood prop, as in the photo.

You might be able to forego the front "handle" structure. A plastic windmeter will do for an airspeed indicator. If you need an altimeter, wear a wrist unit. A "Tiny Tach" digital lawnmower tach is adequate.

Whether you can get away with light little wheels depends on the surfaces you'll fly from (and land on).

No Title

Ernie did build one true ultralight Dominator years back, it's been discussed about before.

There are a few additional pictures of it somewhere on the forum, notice the electric propeller motors on the blades for a pre-rotator.
I flew it once. It was scary. I weighed more than it did. It had no penetration. You had to stand on the rudder pedals and against the seat belt to get it to come down. If I scratched my nose with my left hand it would turn left. I never flew it again. I was used my gyro at the time it felt much more sturdy. I got that thing on the ground and jumped in Dad’s two place which I had flown many times and flew around for a little bit to calm my nerves.