No More Dragon Wings?

rcflier

Experienced Gyroplane Pilot
Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914 (upgraded MT-03)
Total Flight Time
35 as PIC
Hi.

At RFD I just read the message: "Rotor Flight Dynamics is no longer producing Dragon Wings rotors. Contact Luminati Aerospace"

Anyone in the know?

Cheers
Erik

I had heard through the grapevine that Ernie had sold the blade manufacturing.

Have not heard anything regardin the Dominators.

Ernie has not returned my phone call yet from last week, so ................

The blade business has been sold but the dominator line of gyros are still being produced at the RFD factory.

Dang will miss his creativity with blades.

I talked to Ernie Friday and he was actually meeting with new buyers and lawyers that afternoon. And he told my wife that he sold another business that he owned and was going to spend all his time with the Dominator business only.. I hope this little info helps. It was very nice to meet Ernie.. He seemed like a nice guy and was very helpful to my wife and I.

Hmm. Potentially worrisome.

When the founders of Rotordyne sold their blade business, the new owner began skipping steps in the bonding process and the blades began de-bonding. The second successor owner brought in one of the Phaneuf brothers (the founders) and got the quality back on track, but things were sketchy for awhile.

Dragon Wings have been just plain impeccable, in performance and workmanship. It would be nice if they stayed that way.

I sent an email regarding whether or not Luminati intended to continue to provide rotorblades to the recreational gyroplane market. Its been over a week and they did not reply.

If you Google "Luminati Aerospace"; there are a bunch of negative speaking articles about him.
My gut feeling is this is the beginning of the end to Dragonwings as we know them.

Hmm David, looks like you're right. Just another hot air salesman.

Too bad I never got to buy any Dragon Wings - I need to try my old Skywheels and see,
if they're efficient enough for the Gyrobee. If not, I'll need some other wings or a stronger engine.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
It's a real pity that one of the more responsible gyro (or helo!) manufacturers didn't buy the rights and tooling for DWs.

Hi Doug - who's left to buy the rights in the USA - Silverlight use Averso, SC use SC - maybe the Tango Russian imports although I assume their blades come from Russia to ( ? ).

Do we know if RFD will still produce DW rotors for their own Dominator production or will they buy from Luminati.

As for SilverLight, if we wanted to, we could switch to making our own rotors without too much more research and development. We would not need to buy any design or process. We are well capable of executing that on our own and there is a wealth of aerospace talent in central Florida to take advantage of. However it needs to make business sense and we are happy right now with our current arrangement

On a selfish note....very bad news for us in the UK. They are the only available blades we can currently use and the recent rise in interest in single seaters could be strangled.
My guess is this company intends to follow the current craze of churning out ELA clones and wants to make their own blades.
Pity Mr Boyette can't give us more details but he probably has his reasons.

bpearson;n1130063 said:
On a selfish note....very bad news for us in the UK. They are the only available blades we can currently use and the recent rise in interest in single seaters could be strangled.
My guess is this company intends to follow the current craze of churning out ELA clones and wants to make their own blades.
Pity Mr Boyette can't give us more details but he probably has his reasons.

By "this company" you mean Luminati Aerospace?

So,, What is the future of Dragon wings? will they just never be heard of again? or will the price just double and the service will suck? I guess we will have to see,
So that leaves what, sportcopter as the only American blade manufacturer?

HI,
I have been trying to get onto the RFD web site but cant. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
Paddy

Last edited: