Hockey Pucks for Mast Bushing

DavidT

Have been having trouble locating a RAF mast bushing after last one melted. Am wondering if anyone has tried milling two hockey pucks back to back down to 1.5 Inch diameter and then drilling a half inch center hole through both as a substitute. This seems to be thick enough, firm enough and wouldn't melt.

Any thoughts? :confused:

They also wouldnt move, Try paul patterson he is here on the forum and sells a quality

RAF mast bushing (paulp) is his name here. I used hocky pucks as tail wheels on my glider.

Best regards,

Not a bad idea, though I wonder if the puck material is a bit too hard? I think the best bushing would read 40-45 on Shore A. I've posted in a thread about these bushings, but haven't the link handy.

Good luck!
Kolibri

GEEZ Kolibri you could always take a piece of water pipe and wrap it with an innertube.

Best regards,

What effect would having a harder rubber bushing have on an RAF?

Nothing.
The intended effect of the soft rubber bush to apply a stabilising responce is garbage.
I replaced mine with a hard bush with no ill effects.

The bushing helps with the rotor vibration from getting to the airframe, if adjusted just

right it actually helps. Other companys have bushings but they are located in different

places,Sportcoptor for instance puts bushings in the rotor head gimbels to help reduce

the rotor vibration.

Best regards,

Hockey Pucks for bushings

Hockey Pucks for bushings

They also wouldnt move, Try paul patterson he is here on the forum and sells a quality

RAF mast bushing (paulp) is his name here.

Have tried Paul. He has run out and has been waiting at least for the last 6 weeks for his supplier to manufacturer and to deliver a new supply. :focus:

Wild thinking out of the box.....

If you could make a simple mold of the part, many of the many liquid casting rubbers might be suitable.

Something like THIS maybe.

At ~$20 a pound, it isn't overly expensive.

GEEZ Kolibri you could always take a piece of water pipe and wrap it with an innertube.
Heh, I don't have that level of engineering skill found at Brewton, AL!

____
The intended effect of the soft rubber bush to apply a stabilising responce is garbage.
birdy, "hard" and "soft" are subjective, so did you ever measure yours with a Shore A device? At some point of hardness, the vibration would seem to be transmitted vs. absorbed.

____
The PT Flex Series Casting Rubbers seem promising. A50 (and possibly A60) would be my choice.
Harder than A60 may not absorb the resonance. It would be interesting to experiment for the optimal.

Regards, Kolibri

Last edited:
Wild thinking out of the box.....

If you could make a simple mold of the part, many of the many liquid casting rubbers might be suitable.

Something like THIS maybe.

At ~$20 a pound, it isn't overly expensive.

That stuff looks like what was originally used. Visually at least.

Nothing.

By "hard bush" do you mean solid steel/alum, or just harder rubber?

Spring Shackle rubbers for an MQ nissan are a perfect fit, wont deform and last forever.

I have never seen a raf bushing but I have made engine mounts out of magic tape which is made out of some kind of self sticking rubber wrapped around a tube, I have also used the neoprene bar that aircraft spruce sells and one more thing that could possibly work is evinrude prop bushings, the 40 hp one should work.
Norm.

Spring Shackle rubbers for an MQ nissan are a perfect fit, wont deform and last forever.
Do they sell that model or its equivalent in the USA?

Whoa !
I've been looking for this for a while now.
Thank you so much Birdy for reposting this information :whoo: