No announcement yet.

Kolibri's Korner -- a "blog" by a new RAF owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• behind-the-seat toolbag: $7 from Harbor Freight is their Voyager 11" toolbag.
    Just the right size for an RAF. Black cotton 18 oz. canvas, with an external pocket for the most commonly used tools.

___
    redrive bearings replacement: I R&R'd mine during its 2017 annual.
    That service completes the last of my major sub-systems of the RAF 2000, so I can now say that after 3 years/225 hours I've gone through the entire ship.

RAF recommended replacement intervals:
    The crank gear bearings (a pair of 6302) every 200 hours.
    The prop gear bearings (a pair of 6207) every 500 hours.

The "V V" or "DD" suffixes simply mean 2-RS (two rubber seals).

"C3" is a particular clearance tolerance (and a rather tight one), so confirm such in new bearings.

The eight 8mm Allen bolts (black, not cadmium) of the crankshaft pulley are so close to 5/16 that I presume torque values are similar if not identical. I don't know if they're Grade 5 or 8. (Grade 5 bolts of 5/16-24tpi are dry torqued to 19 ft/lbs.) I could find no specs in the RAF Construction Manual. Mine were on quite tight, more than 19 ft/lbs (and probably close to 30). You'll need an extended 8mm Allen socket bit (Harbor Freight, etc.).

The crankshaft gear bearings have a standoff-plate bushing, and this was very tightly pressed in the double stack of 6302 bearings.

Regards, Kolibri
    Last edited by Kolibri; 06-12-2017, 10:55 AM.
    PP - ASEL (Piper 180, C172, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"My expectations: disclose the truth I need to fly safely, and act like you truly care about quality. Anything less is greed or laziness."

Comment

• My latest RAF 2000 parts list is attached below, 20170514.
      Attached Files
      PP - ASEL (Piper 180, C172, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"My expectations: disclose the truth I need to fly safely, and act like you truly care about quality. Anything less is greed or laziness."

Comment

• RAFSA owner Eben Mocke Snr walked into a prop last month and lost an arm.

This incident is a reminder to us all to pay very careful attention while working on a running engine.

Comment

• I recently had the pleasure of meeting a new gyro enthusiast, who contracted with me to assist in a pre-buy inspection of an RAF Sparrowhawk conversion. Neither he (nor the owner, nor the previous owners, apparently) were aware of the failure-prone <2005 hub bar/winglets, nor of the Grade 0 control rod ends.

The prop pulley had a significant wobble, from either bearing failure or a galled pulley (which might be sleeved as a repair).

That such gyro had been flown for some 650 hours without incident is ex post facto relieving, but I cordially refused to flight-test the machine. (It was also legally nonairworthy being out of annual despite that the seller imagined his E-LSA Repairman cert valid to sign off on E-AB aircraft annuals.)

The purchaser seemed to take to heart my recommendations, and bought the gyro for a reduced price because of the work it needs.

I'm sure he will be posting on RWF as he goes through his RAF this winter, and will find, as I did, much invaluable info from our community.

_______
          Earlier this year I dropped in to visit Jim Vanek at Sport Copters and enjoyed his brief and very instructive "recovery from unusual attitudes" flight tutorial. For just a few hundred dollars, you can learn from one of the best in the business, and fly (when available) a fantastic Sport Copter II. If you're ever near the Pacific NW, stop in Scappoose, Oregon to meet the folks at Sport Copter.

Regards, Kolibri

Last edited by Kolibri; 10-29-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X