Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calumetair Prerotator housing/flex shaft.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calumetair Prerotator housing/flex shaft.

I received my new prerotator housing and flex shaft today,installation went well,I fired the RAF up and found that the clutch

plate was spinning with the clutch disk (Its supposed to not be moving until its engaged) the problem was that the new improved

housing/shaft was to easy to spin,the old setup with the tight radius and a lot stiffer housing would hold the clutch plate from spining ,the new setup is

so slick that it moves real easy,Adjustments were made and all is good,its simply amazing how a quality product performs so much better.

In a old article Tom mentiond that he recommended synthetic grease with Teflon,perhaps that also is helping with the easy to move flex shaft.

The grease I found has the same stuff in it that is used on skillets to prevent sticking,the grease is good up to 500 degrees F.

Any way, thanks Tom for making a good quality product......
    Best Regards,
    Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
    (575) 835-4921

I love progress! Thank you for sharing the fun Eddie.
    Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Just looked at the Calumetair website. I could not find the flex shaft, and it was unclear which prerotator mechanism is used on the RAF. Are you able to achieve any higher RPM with the lessened friction, or any other advantages?
      CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
      @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Comment

The prerotator is the standard RAF issue,Tom knows what to build for you,I had prerotator housing and shaft shortened I believe 4",and the

blades do wind up faster and to a higher rpm that the old stock one.
        Last edited by eddie; 06-22-2018, 12:19 PM.
        Best Regards,
        (575) 835-4921

Comment

these are the before and after pictures of the new prerotator,I now can prerotate to 220RRPM without breaking a sweat,shortend takeoff run to less than

200 ' @ a density alt of 7.200'.
          Best Regards,
          (575) 835-4921

Comment

So this is just the PR shaft and housing? I note the shaft is shortened. I will call them for pricing.
            CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
            @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Comment

Yes Rob I had the housing and shaft shortend by 4",Tom will shorten the flex shaft based upon the housing length,he is very good at
              what he does just trust his judgement.
              Best Regards,
              (575) 835-4921

Comment

Working...
              X