Where can you buy the RAF prerotator BENDIX?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
A friends BENDIX housing is cracked and he ask if I can discover where he can buy a new one?

Tom Milton (gyroplanes) he has the Bendix.

All_In;n1132701 said:
A friends BENDIX housing is cracked and he ask if I can discover where he can buy a new one?

Take to your local starter rebuilder and he will match it.
smiles,
Charles

Thank you Eddie & Charles.

It's the RAF attachment HOUSING for the Bendix he needs to find as it's cracked.
I'll call Tommy as he may know where to get the housing... Good idea!

Its just a piece of aluminium tubing that is machined ,probably would be rather easy to make,or have a machine shop do it for you

at a low price.

Thanks Eddy I'll let Chuck know.

I am not sure if those housing are the same on the RAF, Sparrowhawk or Air Command.
Beware of advise to take your Bendix to a shop and have it matched. The internals are different and some similar looking Bendix drives work in the opposite direction. Gyro Bendix drives have the detent internals removed to allow for disengagement without overrunning by the rotor.

Last edited:
Thank you Tommy!!!

The Bendix is OK, we think, but it came with 3 Bendix heads and they are all cracked. He's having a few made out of a new light weight steel.

If we need a Bexdix can you help me?

How do you crack a round Bendix housing there is no torque on the housing just the bracket mounting the housing,the flex shaft,and the Bendix.

Perhaps when you tip it over the housing gets damaged.

eddie;n1133476 said:
How do you crack a round Bendix housing there is no torque on the housing just the bracket mounting the housing,the flex shaft,and the Bendix.

Perhaps when you tip it over the housing gets damaged.
We don't know but he has 3 of them all with crack in the same location.

I think I would just have them welded.Just curious, how much RPM is he prerotating to?

eddie;n1134371 said:
I think I would just have them welded.Just curious, how much RPM is he prerotating to?
He bought a RAF kit in a Barn with the kit was a box that had 3 of the Bendix housings, all cracked.
It actually worked out way for the best. We found a professor at UCSD and wet with him for pizza.

Teaching him about gyroplanes and pre-rotators and telling him about PRA open source state-of-the-air electric pre-rotator project he liked the project and now it's a senior class project for UCSD with PRA as the sponsor.

Here is the project:
http://www.pra.org/forums/showthread...ct-Description

So glad we did not just get them welded and now hooked up with UCSD college.

Good show, John ! Please relay the results when available.
Brian

Smack;n1134592 said:
Good show, John ! Please relay the results when available.
Brian

OK Brian... Will do.
Sent the requirements and photo of different pre-rotators to the departments so they could understand existing systems.
They are studying them for a meeting next Monday.