RAF Engine Tach to ECU signal wiring, fuel gauge face

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF Engine Tach to ECU signal wiring, fuel gauge face

I am untangling and rewiring the rats nest I acquired. The ECU's engine tach signal wire was routed separately. It appears the sleeved 4 conductor cable had been spliced into a 3 conductor cable in the cabin area, and a separate 22 GA single wire was threaded to connect the ECU to the RAF digital tachometer. Noting that my Rotor tach signal cable is shielded, and only one conductor is used, this makes me ask you experts whether the engine tach signal wire should also be shielded, or separated from other wiring, to reduce cross-talk?

Also - I need a RAF fuel gauge face, or at lease a picture, so I can make one up.
    CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
    @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Rob I am using an aftermarket ECU and the tach wire is also a single unshielded wire, you have lost me on the fuel gauge thingy,at one time my fuel gauge was

a regular automotive fuel gauge,they are completely worthless as the tank is irregular in shape, I have a sight qauge installed on the outside of the cabin,I check the amount of fuel and then

I use time as my gauge,I know what my fuel burn is per hour.On my engine I burn 8 gallons per hour.
    Best Regards,
    Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
    (575) 835-4921

Comment

Thanks Eddie. I agree with "fool" gauges and also use time.

Meanwhile another "extra" wire, one not enclosed with in the regular harnesses, is being investigated. This goes from the the ignition switch "on" position to the ignition coils. My question is how big a fuse, if any, do you have? A 20 amp automotive style inline fuse was hidden here under the seats and this seems way too big. I dont have a an engine wiring diagram, just Subaru chassis.
      CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
      @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Comment

Sorry Rob I cant help with that,all of my wires going to the coils including the hot wire comes from my ECU.
        Best Regards,
        (575) 835-4921

Comment

I found some nice engine wiring diagrams online (for a Glassair project!) and it appears that the ignition coil power is connected same as the ECU power line after a 15 amp fuse. I have attached these. Perhaps it is indeed embedded within the harness. And perhaps the previous owner provided the power at the ignition coil, then let it "back feed" to the ECU. No repairs, etc. noted in log books.I will need to investigate further. The wiring job is very poor overall, and will be the focus of later improvements.

Still looking for at least a picture of a RAF fuel gauge face.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dunc; 03-11-2018, 08:29 AM.
          CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
          @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Comment

dunc, my RAF originally had the OEM fuel gauge, but the seller had recently replaced it
            with a Lawrence digital fuel flow meter (which is quite accurate).

I have the OEM fuel gauge, and will take a photo of it for you next time I'm at the gyro.

Regards, Kolibri
            PP - ASEL complex (Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"
            When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

I cut/paste this from a panel photo I had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAF fuel guage face.png
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1131499
              PP - ASEL complex (Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"
              When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

this is my fuel gauge I check it before flight and use the flight timer on my GPS.
                Best Regards,
                (575) 835-4921

Comment

Thanks to both of you.
                  CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P
                  @ 6450' MSL in W. Colo.

Comment

Working...
                  X