New RAF owner with questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RAF owner with questions

It's a long story, but I bought an RAF and picked it up last week.
    I bought the remains of this machine (below). The previous owner laid it on its side 6-8 years ago. It has a Larry Martin 2.5 Subaru that the PO claims has 300 horsepower. Any one know anything about this gyro (other than the hard landing at Mentone years ago?) Is Larry Martin still around? This was one sweet gyro in it's day. It needs some TLC today. Upper mast, blades, prop. Comes with new shock struts (loos like Parham parts) and a new RAF vert stab and rudder. The body and upper skylight window got cracked. Nice panel and avionics. built with love by the PO. My circumstances have changed considerably since I contracted to buy the "kit" almost 3 years ago.

I actually have 2 local gyro guys that have expressed an interest in buying it.

I also have it's enclosed trailer, with winch and blade box, that no longer fits my needs. The trailer was only used a few times and resided indoors for some of it's life. I have had a surplus of gyros before and I now realize that at this stage of my life I'd probably need another 30 years to complete everything I've started.

Any ideas? Thanks, Tom
    Bob McGuire and his Star Trek gyro in 2004
    Tom Milton, PRA Director, Need a DAR, Seat tank, Prerotator, Rotor Brake, or Rotor Tach?
    Have Airworthiness Certification questions?
    gyroplanes@aol.com or
    Visit www.calumetair.com

Here's an interesting pic of Larry Boyer's "Highly modified" RAF, along side the more stock version.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RAFboyerWarrior.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1127336
    Regards

Frank

Comment

Please note the drop-keel, which allows for the lowered thrust line. Many other mods like the Boyer horizontal stab. I'm sure you already know Larry personally, as well as his rep for expertise on the RAF designs. And that he might be the 'go-to' guy for questions.
      Regards

Frank

Comment

You might not want to try for more than 2 hp. per cube out of that engine, or any engine you plan on flying cross-country.

IMSA prototype engine spec: Specifications (20182020)

Can there be more powerful engines, of course, if you're willing to overhaul them every 4-8 hours of use.

Just saying...
        Regards

Frank

Comment

Please note that the weight listed in the above spec. is for the whole car, not just the drive train.
          Regards

Frank

Comment

Took a deposit on the gyro today. Thank you for the answers.
            Tom Milton, PRA Director, Need a DAR, Seat tank, Prerotator, Rotor Brake, or Rotor Tach?
            Have Airworthiness Certification questions?
            gyroplanes@aol.com or
            Visit www.calumetair.com

Comment

You could always put a Yamaha RX-1 (4) Cyl. in it. These engines seem to have all the power you could want.150 HP - 200HP w/turbo. Heck....put the new turbo 2018 Yamaha in it.....even better.

Comment

How many hours at 70% power are your RX-1's rated for, Jason S?
                Regards

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X