Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter helmets and license requirements..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iím firmly in the ANR camp. After 350 hrs. in my R-22 I wouldnít feel comfortable without my Bose headsets. I find only the loud exhaust noise is attenuated. The remaining rotor sounds, bearing/gearbox noise, and engine sounds come thru clearly without being masked by the exhaust. Radio communication are clear and much easier to understand.

Years ago, I worked for Bill Learís R&D shop near Reno. We put a muffler on a bubble Bell helicopter in hopes of getting it approved by the Feds. One of our very experienced helicopter pilots went out to do the initial test flight and was very shaken by being able to hear the routine noises through out the airframe. He set it back down after a brief hover and did another pre-flight inspection of the rotating components thinking something wasnít right.

I cannot think of a downside to flying ANR other than direct cost but the benefits far out weight that one time expense.

Comment

Originally posted by bryancobb View Post
      Rotorcraft helmets ShOULD NOT use ANR !!!! The pilot NEEDS to be able to hear rotatinq parts and detect problems, malfunctions, and impendinq failures.

Reading this post and totally agree. I flew 30 years without ANR until I started flying helo's. I spent $1300 and bought the Bose thinking I would enjoy them in the GIV I fly at work. First day starting the engine I almost burned up a starter because I didn't hear the fan spoiling up. My brain and my hand (on the fuel control) had been conditioned after 13 years to listen for that sound. The ANR blanked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been looking at the Gentex helmets. New versions are just out of my price range. There are some reasonable prices for used units, but I have a serious concern about buying used, as to their safety. Most helmet manufactures recommend replacement of the helmet after 5 years, as the shock absorbing lining losses it effectiveness after a period of years. I don't know if the foam liner is replaceable ?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveJaksha View Post
          I have been looking at the Gentex helmets. New versions are just out of my price range. There are some reasonable prices for used units, but I have a serious concern about buying used, as to their safety. Most helmet manufactures recommend replacement of the helmet after 5 years, as the shock absorbing lining losses it effectiveness after a period of years. I don't know if the foam liner is replaceable ?

Dave
          Hello Dave,

Everything on the Gentex helmet is replaceable.

I wear an SPH-5 that I paid $200 for including the bag. It had military impedance so I replaced the microphone, speakers and added active noise reduction. I think I have around $400 in it.

The parts are available from Headsets Inc in Texas.

I see Gentex SPH-5s regularly go for around $500 on EBay.

I missed one with the civilian impedance for $225 about six months ago. I wanted a spare for training.

Look for damage to the shell around the front of the ear bulge. If someone puts them on wrong it can crack there and the shell canít be repaired.
          Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Thanks, Vance. I will check out the parts.

Where did you purchase the ANR hardware for the SPH-5?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveJaksha View Post
              Thanks, Vance. I will check out the parts.

Where did you purchase the ANR hardware for the SPH-5?

Dave
              Headsets incorporated:

http://www.headsetsinc.com/
              Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

I flew the Tecnam P2002, is good at driving and has a great overview.
                192.168.l.l

Comment

Working...
                X