How robust are Mosquitoes?

Rattler 1

Aircraft
C150-C172-Taylorcraft-Tbird-Rans S9-challenger-Benson-Air Command-Sportcopter
Total Flight Time
I know they state 500 hour rebuilds. Is that normal? Also are you always tinkering on them to keep them flying? Looking at a Mosquito Air but don't want to have to throw $ at it continually to keep it flying.

A helicopter wouldn't be my first thought for a flying machine that is inexpensive or low maintenance.

Jazzenjohn;n1142703 said:
A helicopter wouldn't be my first thought for a flying machine that is inexpensive or low maintenance.

+1
I don't think a Helicopter has ever been described a low maintenance device.

If you really want one, go get one, just understand what you are getting into.

- - - - -
Just for Fun... :biggrin:

- If God had meant man to fly helicopters, He'd have given him more money.

Helicopter - (hel-i-kop-ter) noun
1. A million parts rapidly rotating around an oil leak, waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

If the engine is a concern, you could buy a complete new MZ-202 engine from GyroJake, made for the Mosquito, at a reasonable price!

Over 2 Million Views, Very Impressive!! What are they using for an engine to replace the MZ-202 ?

Jazzenjohn;n1142733 said:
Over 2 Million Views, Very Impressive!! What are they using for an engine to replace the MZ-202 ?

I don’t think they have found a replacement for the MZ-202 yet, at least one that will keep the machine ultralight legal. The air cooled Hirth is one option but most sales are for the 285 or turbine.

Alan_Cheatham;n1142718 said:
The problem with 202 parts is the pistons, Mosquito specifies they be changed every 50 hours of operation.

50 hours ?????
That's the duty cycle on which I change the oil in my helicopter, not the pistons.

WaspAir;n1142740 said:
50 hours ?????
That's the duty cycle on which I change the oil in my helicopter, not the pistons.

Yep, 50 (fifty) hours. Operating a two stroke helicopter engine at constant rpm but variable throttle setting and hence variable lubrication creates issues. The safer side was to de-carbon and change pistons on a regular basis, at least for the MZ.

Oh, a couple of other items about the MZ-202. Earlier engines used a cast aluminum stator plate that could fail, later engines had plates machined from the solid.

Also, the MZ muffler system is a Crack-O-Matic, that’s from direct experience with the 202 on a gyro and the Mosquito Air in the above linked video.

There is a price to be paid for a true 103 compliant ultralight helicopter and the 202 is part of it. I have seen a couple Air's out there with the Rotax 503 but I don't know if they are still legal ultralights.

If you want a cheap maintenance free helicopter you should buy a picture.

I don't have an Air but own a 285. Mosquitos are relatively low maintenance. I just finished performing my 100 hr./Annual inspection (102 actual hours). Part of it I did at the Factory Fly-In at the end of March just to take advantage of their expertise. They are fun aircraft and I get to keep it in my garage which saves hangar fees.

Mosquitos are nice single seat helicopters. There was one built in the airport I flew out of, and really impressed with it along with the manufactures support. The MZ 202 engine needs to be well care for and inspected to prevent failures, and experience with auto rotation a must with this engine in Mosquito IMO. The muffler crack on this Mosquito with MZ-202, but it was more of a big hole. Had to convince the pilot not to fly it home with the hole in the muffler. I think the turbine would be the way to go with the Mosquito. I haven’t seen the Mosquito with 285 engine, but the guy who was building the Mosquito recommended the 285 over MZ202.

I will agree, I could not own a 202 because of the 50 hr. piston change and I like reserve power (I am at 5,278 msl when I start the engine). The turbine would be nice but adds close to $20K to what I had to pay out for my 285 not to mention the additional 4 gallon fuel burn. If money was not a concern yes I would have got an XET, but it is a concern darn it.

Thanks Barney. Sorry to hear about John’s passing. Swift seemed like a nice design. The Safari 500 might be alternative. Do you think that is shipping now?

50 hours ?????

Hey Everyone,
Here's a little background on the 50 hr requirement. First, let's look at Rotax. They specify a decarbon of pistons and ring grooves at 50 hour intervals.

The reason that's needed is because people don't understand jetting requirements and oil requirements and run it too rich because of the horror stories about seizures. This gums-up the rings and sticks them. You must remove them and use a shoestring every 50 hours UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHICH OIL IS BEST, HOW MUCH IS NEEDED FOR DIFFERENT THROTTLE SETTINGS, AND UNDERSTAND JETTING WELL ENOUGH THAT THE ENGINE IS NOT GUMMING ITSELF UP.

Now the MZ-202 people decided that it is much easier to just replace the pistons at 50 hours instead of working your butt off cleaning them. The "old" 202 pistons are purported to have a ring non-rotation pin problem but I don't have 1st hand knowledge.

I religiously decarbon my Rotax 582 every 50 hours. I run a mineral / synthetic blend from California Power Systems. And I leave my oil injection pump installed so at idle the ratio is 100:1. At a full collective climb it's right around 50:1. In a needles joined descent it gets yuckky at about 35:1 to keep me from seizing.

Last edited: