How robust are Mosquitoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How robust are Mosquitoes?

I know they state 500 hour rebuilds. Is that normal? Also are you always tinkering on them to keep them flying? Looking at a Mosquito Air but don't want to have to throw $ at it continually to keep it flying.

A helicopter wouldn't be my first thought for a flying machine that is inexpensive or low maintenance.
    "Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape!"
    All opinions are my own, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Feel free to correct me if I am.
    PRA# 40294

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzenjohn View Post
      A helicopter wouldn't be my first thought for a flying machine that is inexpensive or low maintenance.
      +1
      I don't think a Helicopter has ever been described a low maintenance device.

If you really want one, go get one, just understand what you are getting into.

- - - - -
      Just for Fun...

- If God had meant man to fly helicopters, He'd have given him more money.

Helicopter - (hel-i-kop-ter) noun
      1. A million parts rapidly rotating around an oil leak, waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

Comment

Your main issue with an Air could be finding engine parts, the MZ202 is no longer made in Canada, that business was sold to some China company.

Comment

If the engine is a concern, you could buy a complete new MZ-202 engine from GyroJake, made for the Mosquito, at a reasonable price!
          All opinions are my own, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Feel free to correct me if I am.
          PRA# 40294

Comment

The problem with 202 parts is the pistons, Mosquito specifies they be changed every 50 hours of operation.

Comment

I shot this video of a friend doing cone work with an Air, despite it's small size the Mosquito is quite well made and is one of the best at doing auto-rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzBtsmOlBR0

By the way, Mosquito has decided to stop producing the Air and focus on their other models.

Comment

Over 2 Million Views, Very Impressive!! What are they using for an engine to replace the MZ-202 ?
                PRA# 40294

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzenjohn View Post
                  Over 2 Million Views, Very Impressive!! What are they using for an engine to replace the MZ-202 ?
                  I donít think they have found a replacement for the MZ-202 yet, at least one that will keep the machine ultralight legal. The air cooled Hirth is one option but most sales are for the 285 or turbine.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_Cheatham View Post
                    The problem with 202 parts is the pistons, Mosquito specifies they be changed every 50 hours of operation.
                    50 hours ?????
                    That's the duty cycle on which I change the oil in my helicopter, not the pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by WaspAir View Post

50 hours ?????
                      That's the duty cycle on which I change the oil in my helicopter, not the pistons.
                      Yep, 50 (fifty) hours. Operating a two stroke helicopter engine at constant rpm but variable throttle setting and hence variable lubrication creates issues. The safer side was to de-carbon and change pistons on a regular basis, at least for the MZ.

Comment

Oh, a couple of other items about the MZ-202. Earlier engines used a cast aluminum stator plate that could fail, later engines had plates machined from the solid.

Also, the MZ muffler system is a Crack-O-Matic, thatís from direct experience with the 202 on a gyro and the Mosquito Air in the above linked video.

Comment

There is a price to be paid for a true 103 compliant ultralight helicopter and the 202 is part of it. I have seen a couple Air's out there with the Rotax 503 but I don't know if they are still legal ultralights.

If you want a cheap maintenance free helicopter you should buy a picture.

Comment

Working...
                          X