first lesson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first lesson

I took my first lesson yesterday in a Magni. I was totally surprised at how well that machine was built. It handles great and has all the looks also. I own a single place gyro now but after flying that machine I am going to the bank to open a savings acct. What a machine!!!!!

Glad it went well Vernon.

I talked to Don and he said you did well.

We discussed some exercises you might do in the Magni to prepare you for the transition to solo in your aircraft.

I looked up the ultralight rules and it appears to me your aircraft does not qualify to be flown as an ultralight because of 103.1 E (3).

I don't know anyone who would imagine a Bensen with a Mac would not exceed 55kts in at full power in level flight.

She can still be registered as an EAB but the paperwork will take a while and require some work on your part.

They used to be more lax about the requirements but so many people have died flying “ultralights” that the FAA has become more focused on the limitations of part 103.

The training requirements for Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane are not that difficult with 15 hours of dual and five hours of solo required.

FAA part 103.1 APPLICABILITY
    This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:
    A. is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;
    B. is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;
    C. does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and
    D. if unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or
    E. if powered:
    1) weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;
    2) has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;
    3) is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and
    4) has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.
    Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Thank you Vance. I will discuss it with Don and make the proper arrangements. My next lesson is Saturday unless this crazy weather does not permit it.

Comment

Yes you're having some shocking weather recently - terrible mudslide now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42632660

Comment

California is a big state Steve. Neither Don nor I have been affected by the mudslides although California Highway 1 is close about 80 miles south east of me. The fires took down a lot of what holds the hills together so the mud slides are not a surprise at the fist good rain and there was plenty of notice to evacuate. I suspect the people who did not evacuate had their reasons and it didn't work out for some.
          Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Working...
          X