Number #1050 Coming to America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twistair View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist: with all respect to Magni family the first Euro gyro company were Cierva autogyros long before.
    Haha, point well taken, however one might argue that although Cierva did open and operate the Cierva Autogiro Company in the UK from 1926 until his death (in a commercial FW, no less) in 1943, they were designing and building aircraft that although forerunner and akin to post-Bensen gyrocopters they were, nonetheless, not gyrocopters at all but rather autogiros, LOL. (I kno, I'm digging here...) Some (me) maintain there is a technical difference, in that these were much larger scale, commercial tractor aircraft not aimed at sport flying as are the modern pusher "gyros", the term here referring specifically to the basic open-frame pusher gyrocopters and current list of gyroplanes we now have in the post-war, modern era of auto-rotation lifting rotorcraft.

This is not the first time this has been taken up on RF, it is the ultimate RF question and has been bandied about many times: What is the difference between a gyrocopter, gyroplane, and autogiro???

I should just add "...still in operation...", to qualify my original statement more easily though. Either way, nice chatting with you today!

Originally posted by twistair View Post

Jos Scheppers (spell?) in Ostende, Belgium, powered some M16s with his own Subaru EA-81 conversion and flew it successfully ca. 15 years ago. His conversion had a number of clever upgrades and was very lightweight. Here is a short video: https://youtu.be/0t_SC-f4Kxk
    Thanks! I was hoping someone could add some info to the blog regarding other conversions :)
    Last edited by NoWingsAttached; 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM.
    GT Mills
    Peachstate Rotorcraft Club

Mohawk Aero Corporation
    PO Box 30133
    Savannah, GA 31410
    www.MohawkAeroCraft.com info@MohawkAeroCraft.com

Comment

I also found an old thread here about one of Jos' conversions with some his own comments: https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/ki...gni-m16-subaru
      Alex Lameko
      Russian gyroforum
      Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

I met Vittorio Magni a number of years ago when he attended a Bensen Days flyin with Greg Gremminger who had shortly before become the US Magni dealer.

Magni, who didn’t speak a word of English, was accompanied by his interrupter, a charming young lady who was fluent in English.

I explained to her that although my first wife was Italian, the only Italian phrases I'’d learned were; "“andiamo a mangiare"” and “"andiamo a letto"” meaning let’s eat and let’s go to bed.

When Magni heard me say in Italian; “"let’s go to bed”" he lit up, not knowing the context of our conversation and imagining that I was propositioning his interpreter.

Magni learned how to design gyros from having built a Bensen. The rotorhead and rotorblades of the Magni gyros are from designs of Jukka Tervamaki, who had interned at Bensen.
        Last edited by C. Beaty; 10-27-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X