First 25 Hour Inspection on my Mini-500

I got my Belite Fuel gauge / anti-fuel exhaustion thingy installed today. I had to put it in the compass hole so I hung a vertical card compass, a-la Robinson. Just a little cleanup and safety wiring and I`ll be able to test my new pinion bearings and Super-Bolt configuration. I`ll bet my gearbox oil runs about 120 now.

Anxious to see if you are satisfied with the fuel gauge. Is it the universal one or the Radiant type gauge?

No Title

Watch the Youtube video on programming it. Instructions are inadequate. Wait 1 full radio song after adding liquid before pressing a button.
My tank is 14 gallons. I only am interested in monitoring the last 6. So 6 GAL to full shows full 100%. 1.5 GAL shows 25% and LED`s turn red and alarm activates if you install one. 1.5-3.0 Gallons show LED`s amber. 3.0-14.0 LED`s are green.

When master switch is turned on, it takes about 2 minutes for the system to boot-up. Not sure yet if I can go ahead and takeoff and let it boot up in the air. I always let the engine warm for 5-10 minutes on the first flight when cool anyway.

First impression is...good price, good idea, good system, jury still out on in-flight functionality and durability. I almost got killed due to fuel exhaustion (my fault) a few months ago. I think this system will poka-yoke my fuel available.

Attachments

• photo128069.jpg
    photo128069.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo128070.jpg
    photo128070.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
No Title

photo128087.jpg
lindandavid;n1122430 said:
Where is your probe located on your fuel system?

The picture below is of the fuel remaining when I landed on the day I almost bit-the-big-one. Can you
see the amount of gas I landed with? That`s why I am installing the Belite system. I`m too fat and
feeble to turn around in flight to view the level tube.

Last edited:
Brian I tried to install the belite gauges,both types with the pressure sensor,I finally tried filling a 5 gallon bucket with the probe installed at the bottom and

it appeared to be just fine until I started removing fuel to check for accuracy,the guage after removng 10 % of the fuel showed to have only 30% remaining.

I tried to obtain an accurate reading several times when removing fuel from the bucket and never had good results. Hopefully you will

have better results than I did.

eddie;n1122465 said:
Brian I tried to install the belite gauges,both types with the pressure sensor,I finally tried filling a 5 gallon bucket with the probe installed at the bottom and

it appeared to be just fine until I started removing fuel to check for accuracy,the guage after removng 10 % of the fuel showed to have only 30% remaining.

I tried to obtain an accurate reading several times when removing fuel from the bucket and never had good results. Hopefully you will

have better results than I did.

Did you program it exactly per the video? The instructions are woefully inadequate. After I finished my programming, I opened the sump drain and watched the gauge indication as the quantity decreased. It seemed very accurate to me. The only gripe I have is the LED`s change to yellow at 1/2 of the gauge.

Yes I calibrated exactly like the video,did the calibration several times ,and still had bad results,it sounds

like you are having better results than I could get.

No Title

eddie;n1122501 said:
Yes I calibrated exactly like the video,did the calibration several times ,and still had bad results,it sounds

like you are having better results than I could get.

You may be a lot sharper than this 56 y/o guy but I watched the video twice and was unsuccessful three times, doing it from memory. Then I watched it the third time and took notes.
I followed my notes and was unsuccessful the fourth time! Then I typed my notes in a Word document, checked the steps and order against the video, and lengthened my times for
fuel to stabilize after each addition...and BAM! It worked.

Attachments

• photo128100.jpg
    photo128100.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2
I never got confused but I calibrated several times trying to get it to work properly,it appeared to be good, but when fuel was removed to check accuracy

that's what failed. Hopefully you will be ok and get good results.

I finally got the Annual Condition Inspection/25 HR Inspection finished today and got about half of the cleanup done. I hope the rain holds off tomorrow because I am anxious to get it back in the air with
the changes / improvements I have made.

Wasn`t able to fly today. The only Sunday gas station that carries 90 Octane Recreational (Non-Ethanol) was all out because the Jet-Skiers were out on the lake by
the millions!