No announcement yet.

First 25 Hour Inspection on my Mini-500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian, How you going with replacing the pinion bearing retainer bolt?
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Comment

Well...my goal was to get at least 1.5x diameter of threads engaging to achieve 9000#of compress force. There was barely enough space to achieve that for a 1/2-20 MS bolt so it had to be done exactly right.
      I did a very detailed and accurate section view of the pinion, the washer, my bolt, and all items being squeezed, for the machinist. I expected too much from him. He incorrectly assumed the bolt head sits against the tip of the pinion, with the unthreaded portion of the bolt INSIDE the tapped hole.

He did a great job creating class 3B threads in there but they don`t begin until 1" deep! Only 7 threads are engaging when all items are in place and the bolt is torqued.

I`ll have to use a longer bolt now so It has me stopped until I get the $40 bolt.
      Last edited by bryancobb; 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM.
      Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
      Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment

The clearance holes in all 4 drive flanges, for the Hi-Lok collars have been enlarged from 1/2" to 5/8".
        The conical clamp washer now has a recess so the huge bolt head does not interfere
        with the Morflex coupling.
        Last edited by bryancobb; 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bryancobb View Post
          The clearance holes in all 4 drive flanges, for the Hi-Lok collars have been enlarged from 1/2" to 5/8".
          The conical clamp washer now has a recess so the huge bolt head does not interfere
          with the Morflex coupling.
          The final solution has been nailed down. A modified MS20008 internal wrenching bolt and the O.D. of the rod-end washers was turned down to the same as the 1/4" spacers.

Comment

It took almost 3 months for it to be manufactured but I finally received my super-precision aerospace grade FAG / INA Tapered Roller for the front of my pinion, right next to the gear. Now I can get my 25 Hour / Annual complete and get 500WW back in the air.

Comment

Bryan, what's different with this one from the bearing you had?

Cheers, F.
              If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Comment

I hope Bryan is OK.
                His replies are usually within a day or two.

Comment

I`m fine :). I just hate this NEW forum format and don`t come here as often.

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyCAD View Post
                    Bryan, what's different with this one from the bearing you had?

Cheers, F.
                    With "superprecision" bearings, they just have tolerances that are tighter and more time is spent manufacturing them as close to "nominal" dimensions
                    on the print. A little rounder, the rollers sit more perfectly against the inner and outer races, and for me, a big difference is...the cage is made much more
                    precise and has no chance of rubbing that slim ring front spacer that was required.

The standard bearing probably would have worked fine for hundreds of hours but the cage would have continued to rub and shed fine powder and set off
                    the chip light. Sometimes this fine powder acts like wheel-chocks under the rollers and stops them from rolling momentarily.

Comment

I am having difficulty finding time to work on 500WW. Grass mow season is here and work at Meggitt is killing me!

Comment

I got my Belite Fuel gauge / anti-fuel exhaustion thingy installed today. I had to put it in the compass hole so I hung a vertical card compass, a-la Robinson. Just a little cleanup and safety wiring and I`ll be able to test my new pinion bearings and Super-Bolt configuration. I`ll bet my gearbox oil runs about 120 now.

Comment

Anxious to see if you are satisfied with the fuel gauge. Is it the universal one or the Radiant type gauge?
                          David Craft

Comment

Watch the Youtube video on programming it. Instructions are inadequate. Wait 1 full radio song after adding liquid before pressing a button.
                            My tank is 14 gallons. I only am interested in monitoring the last 6. So 6 GAL to full shows full 100%. 1.5 GAL shows 25% and LED`s turn red and alarm activates if you install one. 1.5-3.0 Gallons show LED`s amber. 3.0-14.0 LED`s are green.

When master switch is turned on, it takes about 2 minutes for the system to boot-up. Not sure yet if I can go ahead and takeoff and let it boot up in the air. I always let the engine warm for 5-10 minutes on the first flight when cool anyway.

First impression is...good price, good idea, good system, jury still out on in-flight functionality and durability. I almost got killed due to fuel exhaustion (my fault) a few months ago. I think this system will poka-yoke my fuel available.
                            Last edited by bryancobb; 07-17-2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Where is your probe located on your fuel system?
                              David Craft

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	1122463
                                Originally posted by lindandavid View Post
                                Where is your probe located on your fuel system?
                                The picture below is of the fuel remaining when I landed on the day I almost bit-the-big-one. Can you
                                see the amount of gas I landed with? That`s why I am installing the Belite system. I`m too fat and
                                feeble to turn around in flight to view the level tube.
                                Last edited by bryancobb; 07-17-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X