Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone who has ever tried coaxial single seat helicopters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone who has ever tried coaxial single seat helicopters?

Hi guys, have any of you who have ever got this gen-h4 helicopter? It is said to be the smallest helicopter in the world, for a long time i have been dreaming about building or buying one helicopter like that. If you guys who ever got a coaxial single seat helicopter can you share something with me that would be truly wonderful. By the way, i am still looking for these small coaxial helicopters, if you know anyone or any company is selling the kit or product can you let me know? a million thanks! my email is lee@westwingsgroup.com

thanks guys!

lee

There is not collective pitch control so autorotation is not possible. I would not fly one of these beyond just hovering low and very low forward speed. I have flown two versions of the Ultralight Mosquito and found them remarkably easy to fly.

Comment

To prevent any misunderstanding let me clarify, please:
      • The GEN H-4, having a fixed-pitch-rotor, lack the ability to autorotate.
      • Most other coaxial helicopter designs rather use articulated rotor systems. With these, autorotation is definitely possible.

As a matter of fact, sufficient autorotation capabilities are an important safety feature and therefore to get airworthiness certification for a helicopter design it is mandatory to successfully demonstrate autorotation under different conditions as part of the certification process.

If you are interested in affordable coaxial helicopters please have a look at the RotorSchmiede VA115 ultralight.
      • We are expecting the German Ultralight Helicopter Type Certification of the VA115 ultralight within the next few weeks.
      • We will inform all potential customers about this important milestone and will then except reservations for production slots.
      • RotorSchmiede is currently building three pre-series VA115 ultralight in serial configuration. These helicopters will be sold to selected customers for field testing, to identify and address any teething problems before starting serial production.
      • After finishing the field tests, RotorSchmiede will publish VA115 ultralight serial configuration and performance data, and will except orders and deposits.
      • The VA115 ultralight will be sold with a German Ultralight Helicopter Type Certificate at 80.000 EUR, w/o tax and delivery.

For more information please have a look at our website www.rotorschmiede.de and sign up to receive our newsletter.

Comment

Hello Lee;
        Just remember in the USA, Part 103 is Ultralight. Any Part 103/Ultralight machine IS NOT recognized by the FAA as an AIRCRAFT, they are simply defined as an Aeronautical Vehicle. There are some very basic limits applied to them, but none regarding safety, and none regulating in flight safety. Because they are not Aircraft, there are no provisions for an Air Worthiness Certificate, condition inspections, no Pilot requirements, no training required. Just build it and fly it.
        I too have been fascinated with coaxial flight, but I would require any rotorcraft to be able to be auto-rotate capable before I got out of ground effect. It is not a matter of IF it will happen; but rather a reality of WHEN it will happen.
        I am an ole Mac driver, and I have had 9 real world engine out emergencies with Mac's & Subaru and Hirth, All in gyro's.
        That engine might get you up; but it is that rotor system which will bring up back down!!!
        David McCutchen
        615-390-2228
        Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
        Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
        Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
        Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
        EAA Member #0511805
        PRA Member #28866
        PRA Chapter 16 Member
        Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
        President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
        Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
        Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
        2 busy 2 No!

Comment

Lee,

GEN-4 was in development since 1999 and no one unit was delivered yet which automatically tells that it is still not the proven thing to buy. This is enough to not consider it for purchasing unless one wants to be a test pilot for his money. It doesn't autorotate and has no other means to survive in case of engine fail. This itself is another one reason not to buy it. The project changes some owners and now again: "As of September 30, 2016, GEN corporation suspended development, sales and other activities related to coaxial counter-rotating helicopter GEN H-4. Since the development project has been handed over to GOKO Logistics Co., Ltd., please contact them for further inquiries regarding with GEN H-4. (http://www.goko-b.co.jp)". New owner doesn't even mention it on their website.

There is a promising project developed currently in Russia though it is still far from entering a market: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLVIIbs5aL8

VA115 is still in the testing phase.

All in all - there is no coax single seater in the market to the moment.
          Alex Lameko
          Russian gyroforum
          Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Coax and Synchro-Mesh Rotor machines. They are the best configuration for rotorcraft. BUT, the single-rotor design has been refined to the point that
            they are the most practical type.

There have been a few coax single seat ones that have flown well and have collective pitch and autorotation capability. I don't have first-hand experience with them but I suspect
            they are very promising.

https://youtu.be/Z83t1iejpc8

https://youtu.be/9cHtOX75Pbk

https://youtu.be/pe7NS-xsDJo
            Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
            Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment

The best one.

https://youtu.be/pLVIIbs5aL8
              Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
              Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment