new creation

gallison

Hello everyone new to forum I have a crazy concept that I am working on I am starting a new aircraft that will fly in three different forms gyro copter , powered parachute , and fixed wing aircraft using a Honda conversion engine. I will need some help with the gyro end I am good with the ppc and fixed wing end of it and even helicopter I have never done a gyro before or flown one for that matter. if anyone can help with anything critical like rotor deflection angles ect . i would love to hear some of your ideas as well that i can incorporate in to the new machine thanks

Convertibility often forces you into compromises that you won't like. We're all familiar with novelty tools that try to be a hammer, screwdriver, wrench and pliers in one. They are typically poor at all those tasks.

A rotorcraft normally employs cyclic pitch to tilt the rotor. There are 3-4 different mechanisms to accomplish this. A FW plane uses movable wing and tail surfaces. A PPC uses lines up to the chute. Right away, you have three different, life-critical systems, two of which will be idle during flight in any given mode. A gyro and FW plane need a vertical fin and rudder, but in PPC mode these items will just yaw the cart around, and offer more junk to tangle on. We could go on.

Bottom line is that the frame is the only part of the aircraft that can (sort of) be shared by the three modes. Frames are the simplest, cheapest parts of aircraft. The other stuff (wings, rotor system, canopy) is more expensive and bulky. I'm not seeing a big advantage to combining these devices. They're not enough alike.

THE CONCEPT IS SIMPLE DOUG MORE OFTEN THEN I WOULD LIKE TO ADMIT I HAVE FLOWN PLACES IN FIXED WING OR HELICOPTER AND WISHED I COULD FLY LOW AND SLOW IN A AIRCRAFT TO TAKE PIC AND JUST SIGHT SEE WHEN I AM BY MY SELF AND AS YOU KNOW WITH HELICOPTER THAT IS IMPOSSABLE TO REMOVE YOUR HANDS FOR CONTROLLS TO TAKE PIC AND FIXED WING AS A GENERAL RULE FLY TO FAST TO GET GOOD PIC DOWN LOW HOWEVER MY PPC IS PERFECT IT IS JUST NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH UNLESS YOU TRAILER IT.SO THIS IDEA IS TO HAVE A GYRO OR A FIXED WING WITH THE PPC WING STOED AWAY AND REMOVE MAST OR WINGS WITH A TOOL OR TWO AND GET MY PIC LOW AND SLOW.I HAVE ALREAD TESTED A RUDDER AND ELIVATOR ON MY PPC IT DOESNT AFFECT THE FLYING OF THE PPC SO I DONT SEE WHY IT WILL NOT WORK AND TANGLES DO NOT SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM.

gallison;n1142892 said:
THE CONCEPT IS SIMPLE DOUG MORE OFTEN THEN I WOULD LIKE TO ADMIT I HAVE FLOWN PLACES IN FIXED WING OR HELICOPTER AND WISHED I COULD FLY LOW AND SLOW IN A AIRCRAFT TO TAKE PIC AND JUST SIGHT SEE WHEN I AM BY MY SELF AND AS YOU KNOW WITH HELICOPTER THAT IS IMPOSSABLE TO REMOVE YOUR HANDS FOR CONTROLLS TO TAKE PIC AND FIXED WING AS A GENERAL RULE FLY TO FAST TO GET GOOD PIC DOWN LOW HOWEVER MY PPC IS PERFECT IT IS JUST NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH UNLESS YOU TRAILER IT.SO THIS IDEA IS TO HAVE A GYRO OR A FIXED WING WITH THE PPC WING STOED AWAY AND REMOVE MAST OR WINGS WITH A TOOL OR TWO AND GET MY PIC LOW AND SLOW.I HAVE ALREAD TESTED A RUDDER AND ELIVATOR ON MY PPC IT DOESNT AFFECT THE FLYING OF THE PPC SO I DONT SEE WHY IT WILL NOT WORK AND TANGLES DO NOT SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM.

Looks like you got this !!

So here's what you want.
Rotor angle = Averages 9* in flight.
Rotor length = Appx. 1.5lbs per square foot at all up weight
Fixed pitch = 1.5*
CGs = Thrust line

Now all ya need is some big balls and an old drill motor !!

Just do a gyro....can fly cross country at 100+ mph.....fly low and slow....can fly hands off.....enclosed or open......economical.....and fun.
Several others before have thought of this idea.....as you can see....none are flying.

SO JAKE IF I SET THE ANGLE TO A MAX OR 12 DEGREE TO EACH SIDE AND AFT THAT WILL BE ENOUGH TOTOAL MOVEMENT FOR JUST ABOUT ANY SITUATION AND SET THE BLADE ANGLE TO 1.5 POSITIVE DEGREE. SHOULD THERE BE ANY ANGLE TO THE FROUNT OR JUST LEVEL YOUTUBE VIDEOS VERY FROM 3 DEGREE TO LEVEL DEPENDING ON WHOS VIDEO YOU WATCH I ALREADY KNOW MY BLADES WILL BE 30 FEET BECAUSE IT WILL NOT BE LIGHT AIRCRAFT FULL CARBONFIBER FUSE AND TWO SEATER . I AM WORKING ON THE MOLD NOW HOPE TO FLY IT BY FALL OR NEXT SPRING DEPENDING ON HOW MANY PROBLEMS I RUN IN TO LOL. AFTER SOME TRAINING NEVER FLOWN A GYRO BEFORE !

I respectfully suggest that the most sensible order of events would be to get the training first and construct an aircraft thereafter. You may be surprised how much you learn in training that will influence your design parameters.

I agree wasp I start training next week so the design is very likely to change as I go along that is why I am asking questions now I have been designing aircraft for a long time and I found the best knolage you can receive is from the people that fly this type aircraft they are the experts not so much books the theory is always the same but there is alway a way to make them better .