No announcement yet.

Stainless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the reason behind choosing it over other materials could be, that when overloaded it deforms - but doesn't break?
    And an open frame gyro is inspected regularly.

Cheers
    Erik

Comment

I doubt there were any deep reasons for using SS on the Gyrobee. It's rust-resistant as long as it is exposed to oxygen. If cut off from oxygen, it will rust. It provokes serious "wasting" corrosion in aluminum that it contacts if not insulated from the aluminum by plastic, paint or other non-conductive coating.

Interestingly, my edition of the Bensen plans called out 1/8" 5052-H32 for the cluster plates (and rotor head cheek plates). And that's what came in the kit. This stuff takes and holds a better shine than 6061-T6, but is far more ductile and not nearly as strong. Bensen had us bend some parts out of the 1/8" plate, and I imagine that he used this softer material to reduce the chance of cracking at the bends.

The Gyrobee cluster plates are strips only 2" wide, mounted with 3/16" bolts. Bensen's, OTOH, are large triangular plates, with far-spaced 1/4" bolts. I'm sure that's why Hollmann and Taggart went to steel.

Again, I see no need for the steel to be stainless, and a couple good reasons for it NOT to be.

Comment

Working...
      X