Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless

Hi Doug et al.

Denmark (all of Continental Europe, even) is metric.
    So the 1/8" stainless plates - can they be 3 mm instead?

Cheers
    Erik

Close enough, in my opinion.

Even better: use chromoly steel instead of stainless. Stainless reacts chemically with aluminum and is actually a poor choice of material for hardware to be attached to aluminum frame members. Stainless also is miserable stuff to cut and drill. Just prime and paint the plain steel.

Comment

Thank you for answering. Upon final assemby the aluminum would be coated with paint or something else.
      But it's now possible to buy grade 5 Titanium - wouldn't that be best?

Cheers
      Erik

Comment

Donít be so harsh on pot and pan grade stainless steel (type 304). It is a highly ductile material, making it ideal for deep drawn shapes such as kitchen sinks and coffee pots. Its strength to weight ratio isnít very high as compared to aircraft steels such as 4130 but thatís not important in hobycopters where the most important attribute is appearance. Itís pretty!

Comment

Hi Chuck - thanks for chiming in.

My problem is, (unspecified) SS is what the drawing calls for. So unless I have a very good reason, that's what I have to use (304 or old name 18/8).
          But 1/8" is hard to get in Europe - and maybe the nut on the AN cluster plate bolt thread bottoms out if I use 3 mm?
          There are so many hard-to-decide items on the Gyrobee list, that I'll make a new build manual if I ever get there.
          I have to find a seat, before I can make the seat support angles. And I have to decide on material, thickness and availibility of
          the cluster plates before I can get anywhere at all. And why not extend the cluster plates a bit forward to attach the bearing
          block of whatever walking beam joystick I can build? That could be neat.

I could buy the lot off Starbee - but I'd much rather build (mostly) from scratch. Then it's MY build.

Cheers
          Erik

Comment

Erik, 3mm sounds close enough to me. The difference between 0.125Ē and 3mm is 0.175mm. I canít imagine the Gyrobee plans calling out SS cluster plates, Iíve never seen the plans but the specification must have been for 0.125Ē aluminum.

Comment

Hi Chuck.
              The plans do indeed call for 1/8" stainless.
              And since there is a cluster plate on both sides, it's .35 mm total.
              I wonder if that'll make the nuts bottom out the threads...?
              Anyway, I think I may be able to buy some 1/8 in the UK.

Cheers
              Erik

Comment

Its like Doug said,stainless is miserable to work with it galls when drilling or cutting,the best choice would be 4130 chromoly.
                Best Regards,
                Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
                (575) 835-4921

Comment

I have stainless plates that attach at the mast to keel on my gyrobee . A good drill bit run slow will cut it just fine . But if you are going to stray from the plans and use larger plates 1/8 6061 t6 sheet may be ok 😀
                  This works well for drilling hard material
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1127480
                  Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by rcflier View Post
                    Hi Chuck.
                    The plans do indeed call for 1/8" stainless.
                    And since there is a cluster plate on both sides, it's .35 mm total.
                    I wonder if that'll make the nuts bottom out the threads...?
                    Anyway, I think I may be able to buy some 1/8 in the UK.

Cheers
                    Erik
                    That's only 0.015" less than 1/8" plate. Just use an extra washer.
                    AN washers come in various thicknesses, and if I remember correctly, acceptable practice allows up to 3 washers.
                    Mike Gaspard
                    Forum Administrator
                    Kaplan, Louisiana
                    Bensen B8MG, NX36MG

Comment

Itís all starting to come together for me; the Gyrobee was Ralph Taggartís adaptation of Martin Hollomannís Bumblebee, an adaptation of a Bensen B-8. Bensen used 1/8Ē inch aluminum cluster plates; no point in making the cluster plates stronger than the 1/8Ē wall aluminum airframe tubing. Anyhow, as others have stated, 3mm plates should be OK, just use an extra washer if the bolt threads bottom out.

Comment

I am very glad this subject came up. I too have decided on the GyroBee and all I can find at OnlineMetals in 304 stainless is the .120 rather than the .125. That said, looking at the specs between 304 and 6061-T6 aluminum, I find that the yield for 304 is 31000 PSI vs. the 37500 psi for T6. So, Aluminum cluster plates would be fine in my book. But that is my decision, based on the numbers and the experiences of other people that have done this before like Chuck Beaty, Gyrocopter Sensei.

Comment

Yes, I am very tempted to trust the very knowledgeable and experienced people here.
                          But I reckon the shock plate has to be stainless for purposes of wear?
                          I suppose Taggart is still alive, so I could ask him why.

Cheers
                          Erik

Comment

There is also stainless used for the main gear strut brackets. I envision some serious shock loads applied there, though I admit it's tempting to use a thicker wall T6 AL channel. Besides lack of availability of odd sizes, is there a reason stainless is used for these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by curtisscholl View Post
                              I am very glad this subject came up. I too have decided on the GyroBee and all I can find at OnlineMetals in 304 stainless is the .120 rather than the .125. That said, looking at the specs between 304 and 6061-T6 aluminum, I find that the yield for 304 is 31000 PSI vs. the 37500 psi for T6. So, Aluminum cluster plates would be fine in my book. But that is my decision, based on the numbers and the experiences of other people that have done this before like Chuck Beaty, Gyrocopter Sensei.
                              The yield strength of SS 304 is low because itís intended for deep drawn shapes where it can be easily formed into complex shapes without tearing or breaking. Thatís known as ductility.
                              It would never be used as a structural material for serious aircraft designs but itís fine for hobbycopters where strength to weight ratio is not important.

Comment

Working...
                              X