Morphing Airframe rotor disc control

davh12

Aircraft
Few UAS on the "govy" side
Total Flight Time
none, except as LZ passenger and vertical "rope" descents
Sorry it's been a bit since I've posted. Leave and all..... built a fence, remodel here and there. Anyway, just got finished w/ the gimbal joint adjustment on the aluminum mockup. Moved it forward. I'm running ragged trying to do both the mock up and carbonfiber flying prototype at the same time....part time.....when I can. Latest pic. Rotor span is not to scale so if it looks like a Wylie Coyote helo....sorry. I may drop the vertical down tube an inch or so. Tilting mech this week-end. Take care all.

Dav....envision helicopters.......oh well....some day

J42_op_680x510.jpg

Last edited:
98 % done w/ the lower airframe. Replaced the aluminum gimbal yoke plates w/ CF plates.

J46_op_680x510.jpg

New control linkages

New control linkages

Hey folks...been trying to keep up w/ updates. I changed the control linkages and it eliminated the rotor tilting pylon/mechanism as seen on my web site and in my patent. It is a patentible differenc, but I'm sharing it with everyone who loves to tinker. Replaced the gimbal joint w/ a spherical bearing atop the vertical tubes and another spherical bearing slide assembly at the foot pedals. The upper airframe will tilt forward/aft, but lateral tilting will be more of a laterl roll in the upper airframe. More to follow

Regards,
Dave

Still working on the CF RC prototype. Waiting on thrust bearings and mast bearings.

Regards,

Dave

100_0558_op_680x510.jpg

Dave,

That's absolutely neat! I'm sure glad to see some experimentation going on! I can't wait to see it fly!

Joe,

Thanx. That's what caught my attention about your experimentation w/ tandem gyros....never seen it before and I enjoy talking w/ people who question mechanical stuff outside the norm. I still have to cut down some of the CF on the lower airframe.......weight again and it kinda looks like "Frankencopter" with out the neck bolts...oh wait... it's got those too....the brass all joint strut mounts...lol. I quess it is "Frankencopter".
:suspicious:

Regards,

Dave

Foward/ aft servo mounted. CG hang test + 1 degree tilt forward & aft. More mast response after the batt weight and gyro/receiver are equally distributed between both airframes. Working on the hinged carrier for that will allow the batt, gyro & receiver to move within the area inside the canopy.

Dave
J66_op_680x510.jpg

J68_op_680x510.jpg

3rd CG hang test complete, still not as much mast incidence change as I wanted. Redesigning the receiver/gyro batt carriage.

J73_op_680x510.jpg

Hey Dave,

How was your weekend at home? My son called to tell us about his battle-buddy and squad leader's mrap hitting a 150 pound IED. Both medivaced to Germany but nothing life threatening. There was three other in the mrap but they were mostly shaken-up.

Hillberg,
Yep, but with Seibel's helo the cockpit had a sliding motion. I'm trying to have complete airframe attitude control to vector the thrust. Still tweaking. I'm already redesigningthe gyro/receiver batt carriage. Throwing an extra hinging joint so the battery will be on the lower airframe and tie into the gyro at a 90 degree hinged "L", the gyro extending down from the upper airframe. A CF rod ties the weight of both into the center support strut of the lower airframe. The CF rod slides up/down through the strut as the upper airframe tilts forward/aft. We'll see what happens.

Dave

Joe,

My week-end went ok. Caught up for the most part. Got the main mast bearing mount in place. Hope your son is doing ok. I got hit with a simtex IED, but I was pulling security outside a stryker hatch....saw stars. How did the helo convention go? Did you get my last PM? I've had trouble with our so called free email at my Apartments. Hope you have a good week.

Dave

Dave,

I got you PM and I had some trouble responding. It seem as if took my message but I guess it didn't.

The seminar was great and the instructor made all the math very easy. His name was Ray Proudy, a long time engineer with most of the major helicopter companies. He was about 80 years old and still very sharp. He showed a video of the airflow through the rotor which you could see the actual air flow. He then explained the math. This class was only 8 hours long...I would have loved triple that time.

My son is doing as well as expected. He seems to very angry at the lost of his buds. I am sure they were his support mechanism. Unfortunately, I missed his phone call Saturday while in the helicopter class.

The battery/ gyro carriage is taking a bit more time. Small CF parts glued a piece at a time.

Dave

Almost finished

Almost finished

Finished most of the rotor hub, but it's still not balanced. Also refabed the batt carriage. Using a Delta 3 flapping axis.

Dave

J83_op_680x510.jpg

Your hub looks interesting! What angle do have it set for?

About 10 degrees...............have not checked it..........used an electric airplane prop. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Joe,
May need to sand down the blade grips if the pitch angle is 14 degrees or greater.

Dave,

The 10 degree setting sounds better to start with! If the 10 degree angle is too shallow, you can increase it to 14 degrees...it's hard to put it back on after you take it off. hooah

Your blades look familiar! I think I have a half dozen of them if they're 0012 airfoil by 10 inches in length.

Last edited:
Yep....inexpensive....only 8 bones a set.