Bensen air speeds

Earl Shaw

Aircraft
Bensen Mac 72 HP
Total Flight Time
180 fixed wing
Can't find the info I want about Bensens. Please forward what you know. Bensen 72 hp engine.
AIRSPEEDS
NORMAL TAKE-OFF
NORMAL CLIMB
BEST RATE OF CLIMB
BEST ANGLE OF CLIMB
CRUISE
MAX MANEUVERING
BEST GLIDE
NEVER EXCEED
NORMAL APPROACH

PERFORMANCE
TAKE-OFF DISTANCE TO CLEAR 50 FOOT

FUEL AND OIL
FUEL GRADE
MIXTURE FUEL/OIL
USABLE GALLONS OF FUEL
CONSUMPTION PER HOUR
THANKS EARL SHAW [email protected]

AIRSPEEDS:
NORMAL TAKE-OFF: Don't know , never looked - I was flying. Probably going to be about 25 - 35 IAS.
NORMAL CLIMB: 45 MPH
BEST RATE OF CLIMB: 45 MPH
BEST ANGLE OF CLIMB: 45 mph
CRUISE: 45 - 60 mph
MAX MANEUVERING: 45 mph
BEST GLIDE: 45 mph

NEVER EXCEED: 65 mph, lol
NORMAL APPROACH: 45 mph

Dr. Bensen suggests at 45 mph, the Bensen blades performed at their best.

PERFORMANCE
TAKE-OFF DISTANCE TO CLEAR 50 FOOT: Too many factors to determine. Pre-rotation RPM, winds speed on your 12, thrust of engine, density altitude, etc..
On my Bensen, with a pre-rotate to 100 RRPM, and a 5 mph wind in my 12, 2 - 3 hundred feet to get airborne, get to 45 mph and start climb. robally, 800 - 1000' to clear the obstacle

FUEL AND OIL
FUEL GRADE: 100LL "only", never use auto fuel
MIXTURE FUEL/OIL: 16 oz. petro based 2 cycke oil, 14 oz of Blue Marbles to 5 Gallons 100LL
my CHT was 50 degrees cooler on synthetic and a smoother idle
USABLE GALLONS OF FUEL: "ALL OF IT!!!"
Part 103 - Ultralight = no more than 5 gallons on-board; N numbered "Registered" what ever you can feasibly build into the system
CONSUMPTION PER HOUR : On my ole 72, I could stretch about 65 minutes out of her. On my 90 - "Quiet" in 53 minutes. 5 gallon tank. Depends on power demands.

Last edited:
thanks no wonder all I found was 45 mph the magic number for everything.
Earl Shaw

I was told by many of the "old" men back when I started in 1983 was "just fly and do not get so slow that you cannot" worked for me all these years !

thanks no wonder all I found was 45 mph the magic number for everything.
Earl Shaw

It sounds like the flight "envelope" is more of a "postcard". Maybe you could skip the weight of an airspeed indicator and just use a picture of one with the needle at 45 . . .

It sounds like the flight "envelope" is more of a "postcard". Maybe you could skip the weight of an airspeed indicator and just use a picture of one with the needle at 45 . . .

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha: Tha is one of the best jokes I've read in some time, Waspair!

What ya get, when ya fly in the winter!

Blue Marble is the brand of 2-stroke oil the Bensen afficionados recommend that you mix with the 100LL fuel. I'm go back and read the thread about using high-test unleaded as a means of avoiding lead fouling and buildup in the cylinders.

From what I understand a 72 Mac is about the same as a 503 rotax

dabkb2;n1137948 said:
From what I understand a 72 Mac is about the same as a 503 rotax

You can easily tell the difference. If it's running, it's probably the Rotax.

WaspAir;n1137963 said:
You can easily tell the difference. If it's running, it's probably the Rotax.

Ya there is that part, but I thought Earl was just looking for information, not bias gyro bashing.

Last edited:
Just a little Mac-attack humor effort, no ill will intended. . .

I know, they have earned it. Have you ever flown a strong 90? When they are on it's an E ticket ride.

cloudhopper;n1138038 said:
I HAVE BEEN USING THE 110 OCTANE RACING FUEL IN MY Mac 90. It is expensive but the Mac loves it.

Sounds good, what size jet are you using and what kind of temps are you getting? I was thinking of going with the 140 octane. That is what my dad use to use and the fuel the Red Bull air racers use, I would have to by a 55 gallon drum.