Thrust Numbers

And carl flys at high density altitudes with me here in socorro NM.,and he flys really well.

his gyro is very unique and represents carl's mechanical abilitys very well. It also has a

very nice sound when in the air.

best regards,eddie.....

I wonder if that top post #35 showing the tractor gyro with the 3-bladed rotor has flown and if so, how well?

The rotor appears to be controlled like any gimble headed gyro, except the blades have a flapping-hinge close to the rotor's center.....may still require a strong arm while maneuvering.
There doesn't appear to be any lead/lag hinge though....overall an interesting design.

is this yellow tractor now flying ?

In about 1987,,,,,,,my Bensen Gyro .....72 HP Mac,,,,,,Expansion Chambers thrust was 340 Lbs. Weight was about 285,,,,,,,me,,,,added on to it was about 175 Lbs.....
So,,,,,,,,460 Lbs,,,,,,,,,and forgot to add fuel,,,of about 45 Lbs,,,,making all total about 505 Lbs....
My thrust again was 340 Lbs,,,,,
My Bensen Mac performed very well by the way,,,,and still does,,,,,,,,
Propeller was a 52X26 Culver and it was the design similar to a typical airplane/fixed wing prop and not like the Troyer types of that being like a " Paddle" Prop

Last edited:
340 sounds pretty good for a 72. I will do a thrust test on my 90 when I have time

I will try to insert a pic of the comparisons from that test,,,,and I managed to beat out some 90's
This was done in 1998 I believe at a PRA Convention
Correction on the thrust,,,,it was 337 lbs and not 340,,,,,,,,we used a " Pull Type Scale" and the year was about 1987 and I think it was at Middletown or Shelbyville during a PRA Convention.

Attachments

• Thrust Test PRA July1988.JPG
    Thrust Test PRA July1988.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
First of all.......We must all use the same pulling scale ! I took my hydraulic Thrust buster scale to ROC in GA years ago. My EA81 Subaru was pulling 510 lbs. It wasn't half of my AUW with 2 people......didn't do the job ! That's why I am installing a 2.5 Subaru.

Jonathan Weis' tandem Air Command with a carbed 2.2 pulled 700 !

Why anything with a cabin (RAF) shows low numbers (3-400) I don't understand.....confusing !

I wonder what my 2.5 with 70" IVO magnum will pull......we'll see. I am hoping for BIG numbers.....if that don't work , the cams will go to Delta for a regrind !

I can't wait to get a good weight on her too ! I will not be using bathroom scales under the wheels !

great topic & old thread !