Aviomania - Viking First Impressions

John, is there a G1sb flying on the west coast ?

No Title

The reason for my wanting a two place is that I wanted to fly anyone who wanted to fly with me from my grass strip. I have seen the performance of the 100 HP Rotax on my field and gyro's struggle to get out with two full size people. Today I took my largest passenger to date about 220 pounds, and I killed it. I now know the technique that works best for my machine and with the extra power of a 130 horse and Ernie's heavy lift blades I had nearly had nearly 500 feet at the end of the runway and I had backed off the power by that point. Granted it is not yet summer but I feel that I am well on my way to realizing what I had hoped for.

Attachments

• photo129500.jpg
    photo129500.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 8
I am happy you solved the gearbox problems!!! the new pod will look much better !!!!!

Great to hear. Now we can put to rest the “Rotax Only and Nothing Else” mantra. Alternatives are good for aviation. It is unfortunate that your Viking saga took such turns and delays. But those days look like they are well and truly over. Wish your Viking Honda serves you well for many seasons. Hope others benefit from your struggles and ultimate success.

RMM;n1134614 said:
Great to hear. Now we can put to rest the “Rotax Only and Nothing Else” mantra. Alternatives are good for aviation. It is unfortunate that your Viking saga took such turns and delays. But those days look like they are well and truly over. Wish your Viking Honda serves you well for many seasons. Hope others benefit from your struggles and ultimate success.
Joe Knows what he is doing that is fro sure.
Aviomania experience changed Nicolas thinking to only selling Rotax engines.
We have sold 14 but only 2 with an alternative engine are built and flying and 5 Rotax's are built in a couple of weeks and ready to fly. Nicolas told me he would rather have them flying than just sell them.
Also you have to adjust the center of gravity with Nicolas only estimating where it should be has he only has made them PERFECT for Rotax's which they are designed and test for.
That is why you can no longer buy an Aviomania without and engine unless you have a used Rotax and send him a picture of int and a picture of the serial number.

RMM;n1134614 said:
It is unfortunate that your Viking saga took such turns and delays. But those days look like they are well and truly over.
I am not yet willing to say the experiment is over, but it is looking like I am going to survive it. =)

No Title

A few small changes. First pic with the 8 inch wheels. Also just visible is the new additional tank Edypaul welded up for me (behind the right wheel nearly under the rotor. Giving me an extra 2.49 gallons which will extend my safe duration to 2 hours. Also we added stone guards. One is under the prop, and another on each wheel.

Attachments

• photo130182.jpg
    photo130182.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 8
Joe: A long road you've traveled to bring your baby to being done!

Looking back on all you went through, would you recommend using the same vendors, such as engine distributor & airframe manufacturer?

Or...?

Are CPAs allowed to fly flamboyant-looking aircraft?
Very nice looking paint job! Your design & application?

Last edited:
Although I am very happy with where I ended up, I probably would not choose this route again. There is alot to be said for buying a flying aircraft. I am a CFP, we are the flashy arm of financial services. The same artist who did PEG, helped with this design. I had a professional installer put it on.

No Title

6 MPH faster with flames....true story.

Attachments

• photo130704.jpg
    photo130704.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 5
She looks awsome Joe.

in this case "true story"=Complete fabrication. Don't you have the code ring?

This weekend I hit a few mile stones and feel it is an appropriate place for me to end this thread of first impressions. This weekend I hit 100 hours and 50 passenger flights. Laura who was my first passenger, also is in the books as my 50th. In addition I recently completed the longest flights to date about 130 miles or so from FD 92 to Cedar Key. I have flown passengers all through our hot summer and am very happy with my result. The Honda engine has been a flawless performer to this point. The Dragon Wings that Ernie provided and the pre-rotater all doing everything I could ask. The only short comings of the air frame and a short coming that has been corrected in the production version is the small pod. The back seat passenger has a windy ride if I exceed 65 MPH, but we do have Flycom helmets with full face masks which add considerably to both the comfort and the passenger communication. I am in the process of looking for an enclosed trailer. I plan to haunt a few more flyins, but after my 130 mile recent trip, I came to the realization that longer trips than that are just not much fun. So for me this thread is closed, thanks for reading along.

Jo, i wish you many happy flights!!!! as you already said the new bigger pod and front seat with windshield for the paseneger are included in the latest version. and as you know... my offer still stands :)

IMG_7392.JPG20180629_185715.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7392.JPG
    IMG_7392.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 10
I plan on taking you up on that too, thank you.