With Genesis You can fly your own way...

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
I started to believe we are flying too much and too often with our Genesis, so we are getting a little bit (little???) crazy. But as the song says “ You must live, what you really love” it gives us some courage that we are not completely crazy yet. This cd was a present from my wife for long time ago, maybe when she still was in love with me . .:lalala::lalala:
She is still singing it for me but not so often. :Cry::Cry:

Video here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwozFejPWY

Last edited:
Great video....you guys might be a little on the crazy side!

How long is that runway? Looks pretty short, but you have no trouble operating out of it.

video speeding up?

video speeding up?

Giorgos,
Did you add a jet engine to the Genesis?
If not, please stop speeding up the video.
I like your motivational videos; keep 'em coming!
Brian

Giorgos,
Did you add a jet engine to the Genesis?
If not, please stop speeding up the video.
I like your motivational videos; keep 'em coming!
Brian

NOT A SINGLE part of the video was speeded up. No where.
Its what I said thousands of times about the maneuverability and the
stability of Genesis is the difference.

If you were little bit observant with the speed indicator during S turns while flying few feet off the ground what it shows, you would have no doubt.
That confirms the real speed and it's not for impression.

Last edited:
What are the major markings on your airspeed indicator? Too hard to tell from the youtube video...

Gary, the runway is 260 meters. The Genesis mechanical prerotator gives 230-240 RPM. taking off with no wind is before the middle of the runway.

the airspeed is in Knots. the S turns are at 75 Knots. the is also a low pass over the runway that had the instrument at the top of its scale (83 Knots)..... i need to install a 100 Knots ASI.

engine is a 582

no they are 10 knot increments starting from 20 to 80 knots.

Gary, the runway is 260 meters. The Genesis mechanical prerotator gives 230-240 RPM. taking off with no wind is before the middle of the runway.

Granny with her tiny electrical prerotator that gives only half of the mechanical
rrpm, does not need much more space to lift off. Its how you master your take off procedure and techniques. This is more understandable with pilots who learned hand starting the blades. How many can lift off without a prerotator? Not many.

Last edited:
That looks like so much fun. I cannot wait for the rest of my parts so I can fly everyday!

Referring to Doug Riley’s thread from 2011 http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30173 with some new recent posts regarding fatal accident with stall turns, I have to say the following.
Such maneuvers, (also shown twice in the video above) are strictly forbidden. It’s a NO NO maneuver for beginners, It’s a NO NO maneuvers for experienced pilots and it’s absolute NO NO maneuver performing it at low altitude and even worse, it’s a NO NO with a second person o.b. If you watch carefully what really happens with the air speed from 80knts (that is the maximum the ASI shows which means that it could be over 100 knots) to zero in a fraction of a second, with two persons o.b. there is no chance to recover from low altitude. No need to mention what happens to the rrpm if you don't know what you are doing.You will hit the ground with the nose first.
Some pilots by watching others doing it, and it looks very easy, they think they can do it too.

Last edited:
Referring to Doug Riley’s thread from 2011 http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30173 with some new recent posts regarding fatal accident with stall turns, I have to say the following.
Such maneuvers, (also shown twice in the video above) are strictly forbidden. It’s a NO NO maneuver for beginners, It’s a NO NO maneuvers for experienced pilots and it’s absolute NO NO maneuver performing it at low altitude and even worse, it’s a NO NO with a second person o.b. If you watch carefully what really happens with the air speed from 80knts (that is the maximum the ASI shows which means that it could be over 100 knots) to zero in a fraction of a second, with two persons o.b. there is no chance to recover from low altitude. No need to mention what happens to the rrpm if you don't know what you are doing.You will hit the ground with the nose first.
Some pilots by watching others doing it, and it looks very easy, they think they can do it too.

Would you please explain what you are calling a “stall turn” Giorgos and why it is so dangerous.

Please identify which video you are referring to that shows the indicated air speed going from 80kts to zero during a “stall turn”.

I can only surmise that what Giorgos means is a zoom climb followed by a push-over to level and rudder turn at the top. But that's just a guess.

-- Chris.

stall turn is a term used in fixed wing aerobatics.. you pull to a vertical climb and right on the top you make a ruder turn so you are coming vertically down.

with the gyroplane you do not pull to e vertical... just 60-70 degrees nose up and 70-80 degrees nose down. in the video (link in the beginning) you can see one at 3:20 and one at 6:20... the wide angle makes it look that the climb is shallow... but it actually is 60-70 degrees nose up.

and as giorgos said..... because you stay some time in to low G you need to know what you are doing and how long to keep it in the that situation.

stall turn is a term used in fixed wing aerobatics.. you pull to a vertical climb and right on the top you make a ruder turn so you are coming vertically down.

with the gyroplane you do not pull to e vertical... just 60-70 degrees nose up and 70-80 degrees nose down. in the video (link in the beginning) you can see one at 3:20 and one at 6:20... the wide angle makes it look that the climb is shallow... but it actually is 60-70 degrees nose up.

and as giorgos said..... because you stay some time in to low G you need to know what you are doing and how long to keep it in the that situation.

Thank you Nicolas; that helps me to understand.

I found his mention of the unrelated thread confusing.

It doesn’t look dangerous in the video and I do something similar at airshows (a zoom climb followed by a vertical descent).

I have not seen a significant slowing of the rotor and have not seen below .6gs.

Is this a dangerous?

In the Cavalon I reduce the power before reaching the top.

Vance the danger is on how steep you enter and come out... the steeper you go, the more dangerous it is. at 60 -70 degrees you are down to 0.4G..... maybe less.

now.. if you stay in the dive for a while then the rotors slow down significantly.. and your speed increases which is a bad combination.

A gyro can mimic a stall turn, sometimes called a hammerhead turn.

It can indeed be dangerous; with the gyro standing on its tail at full throttle until airspeed approaches zero, the rotor slows down in a hurry and is likely to stall when load is reapplied.

The late Lloyd Poston, in a gyro powered by a Lyc 0-260 was doing a sequence of hammerheads at a SRC flyin in Okechobee a number of years ago when suddenly, the rotor made a sound like a shotgun going off.

The stick flailed around, beating his legs black and blue but Lloyd, with catlike reflexes, slammed the throttle shut and settled into a vertical sink until the rotor recovered.

That cured him of steep hammerheads.

Vance the danger is on how steep you enter and come out... the steeper you go, the more dangerous it is. at 60 -70 degrees you are down to 0.4G..... maybe less.

now.. if you stay in the dive for a while then the rotors slow down significantly.. and your speed increases which is a bad combination.

Perhaps I am not doing it correctly Nicolas because I have not seen below .6Gs.

Looking at the pictures it appears to me I am not achieving the angles you describe.

Are you pushing over at the top of the zoom climb?

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 3
Vance.. you are doing it correctly that is why you do not loose rotor speed :)

i stretch it a bit more :) and no i do not push at the top.. just using rudder.

Chuck, with the 80HP rotax i have to cut the engine earlier so i can maintain the rotor rpm within safe limits.... with the 582 i kill the engine right at the top.

Where you mounted the camera was good as it gave a very nice pilot’s eye view of what was happening.

I often wonder how the performance would be influenced by the 912 engine which I know is an option of yours. Obviously heavier with more inertia, but then again greater thrust for the climbs.

Roy Davis used to do incredible climb outs with his 912 powered gyro. This one again was a pilot perspective. Another pilot I have great respect for.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqUtBuf3fI