• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on Suzuki:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...t=25442&page=3

Comment

Nicolas - Aviomania,

Thanks again for the quick response and extremely helpful information. This has answered about ninety percent of the questions that have been running around in my mind. Now this project makes more sense to me and the reason I was so concerned over the $10k price increase of the 912 was the MGL iEFIS. If I were to build a New project with the G1sE, 912ul, MGL iEFIS and corresponding radio. I would quickly be hitting the $50k mark and at that point I would be back to looking into a side by side... maybe used. I just wanted to explain my thought process behind my desire for something different or even used...

I agree with you that 80hp would be plenty and I was thinking of the 80hp Rotax 912ul when responding. It just seems that either my fingers or autocorrect always wants to put uls after the 912. =) This would be the route I would like to take and the used motor makes a lot more sense to me. From what I have read about the 912ul it seems to be a pretty bullet proof motor... What is the average hour usage of the used engines you acquire? Do they include a log book and maintenance records etc? Have these engines ever had a prop strike, exceeded the maximum RPM range, EGT’s or CHT’s etc?

Now on to the final few questions that I have about this project... What sort of lead times do you expect this project would take to source the motor and get the kit ready for shipment with the MGL iEFIS, radio and lets say autopilot? Please feel free to over-estimate the time frame you think it may be. I am mainly wondering how long it will take from the time of deposit to the time I would receice the aircraft...

What would be your estimated total cost of this project minus shipping with the G1sE Quick Build kit, Used Rotax 912ul, MGL iEFIS 8.5” w/corresponding radio, and auto-pilot. I am also curious if I would be able to easily install the auto-pilot later or would this be better to install at the factory during assembly?

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and you have really helped out a lot in my decision making on this project. You are a gentleman and a scholar... I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully doing business together in the near future.

Cheers!

Nic

Comment

Thank you Dinoa for the information that you found about the Aeromomentum engines...

I do think these engines will be a great alternative to the Rotax on gyros in the near future. I really like the AM10 and AM13 engines and feel they would preform well for the money.

That being said for the time being I think the Rotax engine will probably be the best choice for the Genesis G1sE. This will also get me up in the air much sooner than installing the AM10 or AM13 engines. I think with a used Rotax 912ul it will be the best compromise all the way around!

I greatly appreciate the helpful information!

Cheers!

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by Flynic3 View Post
          There are a few active Gyro pilots including Lowell Farrand who has been flying gyros since the Bensen days. Lowell is a treasure trove of Gyro information and knows a lot about proper Gyro design. He was very active in the PRA and was also the co-designer and test pilot of the first PPG. He is quite the guy and I respect him and all that he has accomplished in Aviation. Anyhow I am getting a bit off topic...
          Wow... I'm a friend of Lowell's... I bought my MiniMax FW kit from him. He was always one of my favorite folks, and agreed; a wealth of information and experience. He was on my mind just earlier this week. Wondered how he was doing. I'd love to get in touch with him again. Been quite a few years.

Comment

Brian,

I figured and was hoping someone would know him! Yes, Lowell is one incredible gentleman and one of the truly nicest guys I have ever met! I just spent about an hour speaking with him at the Nappannee EAA’s Hangar over fly in. He seems to be doing really well and just finished up a book that I would recommend reading called “God, me and those Flying Machines”. I could spend hours with him just talking about all his exploits and the book is a great read about them! I plan on going to visit him soon and I can alternatively e-mail him for you and ask if it is okay to give you his number. Knowing Lowell I doubt that will be an issue however I just want to ask permission prior to passing out his personal information. I am really excited to hear that you know him and have had experience working with him. If anyone is looking for an excellent DAR he is one of the best and won’t be doing it much longer...

Cheers!

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by Flynic3 View Post
              Brian,

I figured and was hoping someone would know him! Yes, Lowell is one incredible gentleman and one of the truly nicest guys I have ever met! I just spent about an hour speaking with him at the Nappannee EAA’s Hangar over fly in. He seems to be doing really well and just finished up a book that I would recommend reading called “God, me and those Flying Machines”. I could spend hours with him just talking about all his exploits and the book is a great read about them! I plan on going to visit him soon and I can alternatively e-mail him for you and ask if it is okay to give you his number. Knowing Lowell I doubt that will be an issue however I just want to ask permission prior to passing out his personal information. I am really excited to hear that you know him and have had experience working with him. If anyone is looking for an excellent DAR he is one of the best and won’t be doing it much longer...

Cheers!

Nic
              Thank you, Nic. I would appreciate that greatly. Sorry to get off topic.

Comment

For what it's worth, I scoured the market for a suitable single seat kit gyroplane to bring into the UK with its very stringent regulations and the one I ended up deciding to go with is the Aviomania GS1b with the GS1e Sport as the next one.

Comment

Wnwgj,

I have been looking for and researching gyros for quite some time as well. That is what lead me to the decision of wanting a SportCopter or Genesis for my project. The Genesis G1sE being my favorite and more than likely what I will be going with. Your opinion does mean a lot and I appreciate your post! Out of all the gyro designs I have seen and researched the Genesis impresses me the most and I am looking forward to hopefully building this project. I appreciate everyone here for the assistance and helpful information... you all have been Amazing!

Cheers!

Nic

Comment

For a single seat 80hp with PSRU is usually more than enough. Rotax 912UL weights:

http://www.rotec.com/4-stroke-weights-rotax

Rotax official listing:
                    124.7lbs / 56.6Kg
                    Exhaust System 8.8lbs / 4.0Kg
                    Air Box 2.9lbs / 1.3Kg
                    Air Filter 0.7lbs / 0.3Kg
                    Liquid Radiator 2.2lbs / 1.0Kg
                    Oil Radiator 1.1lbs / 0.5Kg
                    Regulator-Rectifier 0.2lbs / 0.1Kg
                    Installed Weight 140.6lbs / 63.8Kg
                    Last edited by dinoa; 01-07-2018, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Something that many overlook or don’t seem to understand is that many gyros are not built for maximum efficiency so they need a larger engine , a gyro with a 60 inch prop is not going to perform well on fifty hp and will nearly fly on 40 hp, if you build your machine to swing a 72 or larger it will be great on this much power for a single seat machine, a 582 with a 3.47 gearbox and an 80 inch prop will do quite well on a two place machine, the HKS needs at least a 72 inch prop to work well, I have always found that a gyro prop should be at least 25% the diameter of the rotor, more is better.
                      norm

Comment

Norm,

I must admit, even after a lot of research I still do not know much about the subject matter. This is something I am only now learning about more recently and have no actual hands on experience with. I greatly appreciate the information everyone has provided me here and it gives me a lot to think about. I know I still have a lot to learn but I am looking forward to learning it!
                        Thanks again everyone for the helpful insight and knowledge! I look forward to hearing from Nicholas...

Cheers!

Nic

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
                          a 582 with a 3.47 gearbox and an 80 inch prop will do quite well on a two place machine,
                          Norm, I assume that would be a 2-blade prop? Also, at a higher density altitude, would a smaller prop be needed?

Comment

Originally posted by farmboy View Post

Norm, I assume that would be a 2-blade prop? Also, at a higher density altitude, would a smaller prop be needed?
                            If you are using the term "higher density altitude correctly" (the effective of higher altitude) if anything you would use a larger propeller to compensate for the thinner air.
                            Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Ok, I didn't know if loss of engine power would be more or less than loss of "traction" by the propeller

Comment

Nic hello... I am sorry for not replying earlier. We had a death in the family and last week I was not online. I will give you more information in the next few days.
                                Nicolas Karaolides
                                CYPRUS
                                WEBPAGE http://www.aviomania.com/

Dead stick landing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv9q6hlrzdk
                                G1sa 99 hour Testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aykdaMqOPQ
                                Join me on-board G1sa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRZLPL4sCuA

The 2 seat G2sa "Genesis Duo" early testflights
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPw_3b-DeYI
                                and
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxH7X77f64

BOOSTER PREROTATOR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M4gNx40-bE

Comment

Working...
                                X