Rotor bolt prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotor bolt prices

As I am having engine problems with the 912 ULS on my Calidus again, I need to look into moving my gyro with a trailer. After calling AutoGyro USA and consulting the manuals, it is recommended that the rotors be removed for trailering. The rotor bolts are only supposed to be used once. So I would need two sets to get the gyro moved fixed/test flown, then moved back home on the trailer. These bolts are $168 per set. I appreciate that these are specific bolts, but that seems awfully expensive. Is there a more economical source for these bolts? Ray

Whooey!!! One set of bolts for test flight at home, another set after you trailer it to air show or factory, then another set when you get home. I would be looking into the bolts and the stresses involved. We used some high strength bolts on my Safari. They were called Supertanium and were 200K stress bolts. More expensive but sure not $168/ set. BTW I do not know of a Safari helicopter that removed the blades for trailering. The Safari factory quite often towed from Canada to Florida without removing blades. I personally towed my Safari blades on from California to Homers in Ohio, back to California then Back to Oklahoma for about 7 years. Never had a blade or pitch bearing problem. I recently towed my current Rotorway "look alike" from Ohio to Oklahoma and on to California blades on. No signs of blade distress.

Comment

I gotta believe you have misunderstood them if the bolts are in shear and not tension whats the big deal.
      Best Regards,
      Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
      (575) 835-4921

Comment

Make a rack that will hold the complete rotor assembly without taking it apart. (After its removed from the gyro) (I would never trailer with rotors connected to the machine) I've been trailering gyros for years and have never taken a set apart. Works great!
        BarryK

Comment

I bought a single set from AutoGyro. I received them in just three days. It's just 12 metric bolts, nuts, and washers. It was $168. I like the rack idea, do you have a picture? Does it hang off the back of the trailer 15 ft or so? I shutter to think what they want for a new teeter bolt (change on condition) and the washers,nut, cotter pin. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
            I bought a single set from AutoGyro. I received them in just three days. It's just 12 metric bolts, nuts, and washers. It was $168. I like the rack idea, do you have a picture? Does it hang off the back of the trailer 15 ft or so? I shutter to think what they want for a new teeter bolt (change on condition) and the washers,nut, cotter pin. Ray
            Not necessary at all to take the whole rotor apart. Just trailer it next to the gyro in a well protected and supported manner. Only the teeter bolt needs to be removed. Send the bolts back for a credit. Probably exchange it for a much more useful spare teeter bolt.

Comment

I opened the bolt kit today only to find that one of the shortest bolts (M8 37/12), was missing. I've called AutoGyro USA and they will find/send me another. In the meantime, I shall pursue other options, but haven't had any luck with Aircraft Spruce online. Ray

Comment

https://www.auto-gyro24.com/en/Produ...etering-parts/

Comment

Thanks Perzy, I will likely order a new set of the rotor nuts for 7 , and a teeter bolt kit for 70. I like the idea of having these parts on hand to avoid delays during maintenance. AutoGyro USA rapidly located the missing rotor bolt from the kit and shipped it today. The plan is find a trailer of my own and rotor box next. Thanks for all the help. I plan to drive my car to the gyro fly-in at Dublin Texas tomorrow, and hope to have a chance to discuss these things further with Craig McPherson a local AutoGyro dealer/instructor. Ray

Comment

I have purchased a spare set of the lock nuts for the rotor bolts, and the teeter bolt replacement kit. As I already have a spare set of rotor bolts/nuts and washers, I'm good to go for trailering and removals if needed. I spoke with Mike Ripley (AutoGyro expert mechanic/builder in Maryland) and Craig McPherson regarding the best practices. What I came away with was in agreement with Barry's comment that the gyro should not be towed with the rotor on (there are very few custom trailer exceptions). The rotor lock nuts are not multiuse items. The teeter bolt is replaced on condition as mentioned in an earlier post. Both recommended removing the entire rotor via the teeter bolt and not removing the rotor blades from the hub. Also make sure the blades are well supported on/in the trailer. Craig's trailer example at Dublin had basically a rack that supported the blades with the rotor removed in one piece. I was able to locate a local Rotax trained A&P who sorted out my 912 ULS so I did not need to remove the rotor this time.....but I learned enough and have all the needed nuts/bolts for next time. Ray

Comment

I asked for prices for a set of those from AutoGyro USA and their reply was to buy them locally at Fastenal because that's where they buy them.

Comment

Working...
                      X