Mto hub bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mto hub bar

One of my friends has an older Mto Sport using Rotor system one with around 700 hours. A while back he had a fairly hard landing which slightly bent the engine mounts and also caused his prop to strike the tail boom.
    All has been successfully repaired but he has recently noticed that his rotor in the static position with the cyclic fully back hits his tail whereas before there was two inches clearance.
    My question is does anyone know if it is possible that the pre coned hub bar has flattened out due to the impact and if so is there a way to check??

He will be changing over to Rotor System 2 in the near future, but interested to know if his current hub bar has been compromised.

I believe the german standard for coning angle is 2.5 degrees. perhaps all of Europe has also followed there lead also.
    Last edited by eddie; 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM.
    Best Regards,
    Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
    (575) 835-4921

Comment

He may have bent the mast in the hard landing - check around the base of the mast for cracks and speak to AutoGyro about the correct measurements so that he can check the geometry.

In the European version of the aircraft it is normal for the rotor to contact the tail when the stick is full back / rotor teetered down. I believe that the rotorhead is set up differently for the Australian market.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Terbolt View Post
        In the European version of the aircraft it is normal for the rotor to contact the tail when the stick is full back / rotor teetered down. I believe that the rotorhead is set up differently for the Australian market.
        Your right Timothy, a modification is required on gyros for the Australian market. We require at least two inches clearance between the rotor and the tail in the stick hard back, static position.
        This particulatr machine use to have the right amount of clearance but recent checks show something has changed.
        i would be interested to know if anyone has ever put a straight edge across the top of the hub bar and measured down to the lowest point in the center as a way of determining if this particular hub bar has flattened out at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick E View Post

i would be interested to know if anyone has ever put a straight edge across the top of the hub bar and measured down to the lowest point in the center as a way of determining if this particular hub bar has flattened out at all.
          If the MTO has the same Hub Bar as the Calidus ...

The drop at the center of the Hub Bar looks like 14mm.
          It is hard to measure with the Teeter Tower in the way.

An easier measurement is to place a straight edge Under the Hub Bar. Pinch it to the bar in the center.
          Each end of the Bar measures 28 mm above the Straight edge.

I would think it would be more likely the Rotor Blades would deform before the Hub Bar.
          Do both Rotor Blade tips still track in the same plane?
          Do Both Rotor Blades hit the tail at the same location?

- - -
          He will be changing over to Rotor System 2 in the near future, but interested to know if his current hub bar has been compromised.
          What do Rotor System 1 and 2 refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Willie View Post

What do Rotor System 1 and 2 refer to?
            Autogyro supplied Rotor system 1 on all of their gyros until a few years ago ( around 2012 from memory ) and then changed to rotor system 2 which is a stepped hub bar rather than the solid sandwich bar design of rotor system 1.
            In Australia we have put a "life" on rotor system 1 of 700 hours and 2500 hours on rotor system 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick E View Post

Autogyro ... then changed to rotor system 2 which is a stepped hub bar rather than the solid sandwich bar design of rotor system 1...
              Thanks for the info.
              The dimensions I Supplied were from a Type 2 Hub with the Stepped Taper.

Comment

There should be a “crash” measurement recorded somewhere in the aircraft records from when it was first built. It’s the distance from a point on the mast to the base of the stick, if I recall correctly. If this measurement has changed it is an indication that the frame has been bent.

FWIW

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X