Cabrio Top for the Calidus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Top for the Calidus

AutoGyro is now making a cabrio kit for the Calidus. Interesting option. I know others have made something like this aftermarket, but think AutoGyro has embraced the idea. This picture is from the Autogyro-Owner forum which doesnít show the rear screen, but Iíve seen one with both front and back.
    Image of Calidus Cabrio Kit

I've seen the summer canopy on a green Calidus, but it is not what you show. The summer canopy for the Calidus is basically the regular enclosed canopy with large openings on both sides. I would buy one in a heartbeat for summers in Texas, but I have been told that the summer canopy is $5000. That's way more than I want to spend so I'll do most of my summer flying early in the day. How much is this cabrio kit? Ray

Comment

Not sure, but I imagine quite a bit less. Thereís an install guide on the owners site that you can see the details. Looks pretty simple to take on and off once installed. Iíve heard the summer canopy blasts the rear passenger a bit. With the rear screen installed Iíd think it would be better than an MTO since the passenger is sitting in the cockpit.

Comment

This is definitely something that needed to be done, I think. It puts the Calidus on my radar...depending on price and how long it takes to convert back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Monarchist View Post
          This is definitely something that needed to be done, I think. It puts the Calidus on my radar...depending on price and how long it takes to convert back and forth.
          Looks like they added quick release pins for the canopy and thumb screws and posts for the wind screens. So Iíd think it would be a quick swap.

Comment

I tested similar cabrio thing 3 years ago - a guy here bought a crashed (well, totaled) Calidus, rebuilt it but couldn't pay that much for a new canopy thus installed simple windshield. It was comfortable in summer for both seats but caused cruise speed decreased by 20 kmh and coolant&oil temp raised to uncomfortable levels. This caused by changed airflow into the main air inlet. Finally owner made a simplified canopy of three flat pieces of plexiglass which surprisingly made good-looking shape and aerodynamics.
            Photo shows first stage - with windshield. Will find and post "budget" canopy image a bit later.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	kalidus_versija.jpg Views:	1 Size:	413.9 KB ID:	1126284

Last edited by twistair; 10-26-2017, 11:53 PM.
            Alex Lameko
            Russian gyroforum
            Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

I know of one Calidus flown without canopy, which caught fire in Austria.
              I would not tinker with this, unless it really comes from the manufacturer.

Kai.

Comment

Any details, Kai?
                Alex Lameko
                Russian gyroforum

Comment

Originally posted by twistair View Post
                  I tested similar cabrio thing 3 years ago - a guy here bought a crashed (well, totaled) Calidus, rebuilt it but couldn't pay that much for a new canopy thus installed simple windshield. It was comfortable in summer for both seats but caused cruise speed decreased by 20 kmh and coolant&oil temp raised to uncomfortable levels. This caused by changed airflow into the main air inlet. Finally owner made a simplified canopy of three flat pieces of plexiglass which surprisingly made good-looking shape and aerodynamics.
                  Photo shows first stage - with windshield. Will find and post "budget" canopy image a bit later.[/ATTACH]
                  Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	calidus0038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1126328

Alex Lameko
                  Russian gyroforum

Comment

Hello, I cannot find the details any more, that forum does not exist any more.

Kai.

Comment

AutoGyro USA reports having sold a couple of the cabrio tops and has one in stock as of today. The cost is about $1500 US plus shipping. Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X