Arrowcopter USA Updates

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Cardinal, AutoGyro Cavalon (sold), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
1000+
I wanted to give a couple of updates.

The current US demo Arrowcopter (Cladius') is now on its way back to the factory for updates. It'll get a 914, new avionics, and a few updates / improvements on the current AC20. This unit will be back in a couple of months.

I'm currently at the factory building our new demo (N713TX), which should be completed and loaded for shipping within the next couple of weeks. Certainly helps to have the team and the exact tools needed to build it the right way!

I'm more and more impressed with their exceptional design, build quality, and the attention to detail. Many of the team members involved also build formula 1 cars and bring this experise to each component of the AC.

More to come.

Last edited:
I wanted to give a couple of updates.

The current US demo Arrowcopter (Cldius') is now on its was back to the factory for updates. It'll get a 914, new avionics, and a few updates / improvements on the current AC20. This unit will be back in a couple of months.

I'm currently at the factory building our new demo (N713TX), which should be completed and loaded for shipping within the next couple of weeks. Certainly helps to have the team and the exact tools needed to build it the right way!

I'm more and more impressed with their exceptional design, build quality, and the attention to detail. Many of the team members involved also build formula 1 cars and bring this experise to each component of the AC.

More to come.

Great to hear your getting all mods. My only question is this. Other than your Arrowcopter is there others that have been purchased and licensed and currently being flown in the US and are they they or will they be available for purchase in the US? If so is it a 51% kit?

Mark

These are 2 different aircraft. I'm building mine under the current 51% rule. The updated unit has already been registered in the US.

Hi Jason - thanks for the update and good to hear the progress.

Can you confirm the factory construction number ( werk ) for N713TX - I would guess it will be somewhere around about 030 - thank you.

Steve

http://gyrocopterarrowcopter.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks Jason - 039 - that gives me a lot of gaps in my production data to ponder about this dark winter ! Good luck with your build and first flight.

There are 6 at the factory if that helps. Mine is the highest sn for now.

Hi Jason, are you in a position to post a report and photos of the build? What are you occupying your days with? :)

-- Chris

I've been making notes and taking photos along the way. Just need to put them in the proper form. I'm using expertcraft.com to put together the build documentation. I used their site for my MTO build log and it worked out well.

I meant to start the formal document yesterday afternoon, but decided to go visit Hangar-7 in Salzburg instead. Well worth the trip!

Very cool. I am looking forward to seeing this new ship in action.

Expertcraft ????

Expertcraft ????

I've been making notes and taking photos along the way. Just need to put them in the proper form. I'm using expertcraft.com to put together the build documentation. I used their site for my MTO build log and it worked out well.

I meant to start the formal document yesterday afternoon, but decided to go visit Hangar-7 in Salzburg instead. Well worth the trip!

I googled expertcraft.com ... but did not come up with anything close to a build -log site / template!!! ... more details please!!! :)

OK ... found it ... loose the "T" ... here! http://www.expercraft.com/

Last edited:
Jason, how much time would you estimate it takes to go to the factory and do a 51% build? Probably difficult to estimate as there are so many variables but something no doubt you are trying to get a handle on.

As you say the right tools are there together with guys to see everything is done correctly.
It is a complex piece of machinery, I saw Claudius working on his. He had his sons with him one videoing and one taking assembly notes for the build log and also as aids for quick assembly.

I guess the IS was just not enough power despite it's obvious economy. Any more news on the bigger engine that's in the pipeline?

Jason, how much time would you estimate it takes to go to the factory and do a 51% build? Probably difficult to estimate as there are so many variables but something no doubt you are trying to get a handle on.

As you say the right tools are there together with guys to see everything is done correctly.
It is a complex piece of machinery, I saw Claudius working on his. He had his sons with him one videoing and one taking assembly notes for the build log and also as aids for quick assembly.

I guess the IS was just not enough power despite it's obvious economy. Any more news on the bigger engine that's in the pipeline?

We were able to complete it in 8 (very full) days. The Arrowcopter is a full carbon unibody with the body, mast, and tail all as one piece. This certainly speeds the process. With my MTO build, we spent a lot of time trying to decipher the build guide, finding and organizing components, tracking down or going to buy tools, etc. Building at the factory allowed us to have everything organized, no uncertainty of what needed to be done or how to do it. The exact tool was always available and example aircraft were near by for comparison. This all sped up the process of building a complex aircraft considerably. I have a ton of build photos if interested.

Claudius' machine was well done, but under powered with the original IS. The Arrow performs very well with the 914, especially with the content speed prop. That machine is currently being upgraded to a 914 and new avionics.

They are actively looking at several engine options, but don't think they've found anything that is as powerful, reliable, light, and supportable as the Rotax. Hard to beat for sure.

Jason thanks for getting back on that. Completing a 51% Experimental build in eight days most impressive if I understand you correctly. Though as you say having all the parts immediately to hand, all the correct tooling available, and able to work on an assembly line with examples to left and right together with experts on hand to advise has to be an absolutely optimal situation.

All machines, particularly flying machines are compromises, and most could do with more power. Rotax are closely connected with Arrowcopter and their reliability is proven, but I had heard that there was a possibility of some more HP possibly being available, or is that simply rumour?

Hi Leigh,

the Rotax 914 is, in my opinion, a great engine for the AC20. Climbing at 1000+ fpm solo or 750 fpm at gross and cruising at 180+ km/h is no mean feat. Everybody and his uncle knows the Rotax, spare parts are readily available and its is a proven and reliable engine.

Sure, there are more powerful engines. Take, e.g., the Italian Metal Work engines. They are great at 130 and 150 hp. They are newly developed engines with a small installed base. Where are you going to service them and how long will it take to procure spare parts?

If you really feel the need for a more powerful engine I would wait for the fuel injected version of the 914. Rumor has it that it's going to clock in at about 125 hp. Don't ask me if/when it will be commercially available. Nobody outside Rotax knows for sure.

-- Chris.

Hi Chris, actually it was a Rotax upgrade that I was told of not another company. Somebody at last B days spoke to me of some unit being trialed in Canada.

There have been trials of big bore kits on 914's. It certainly produces a lot more power (relatively), but the concern may be long term reliability until it can be fully tested out. Case in point would be the US 912 big bore upgrade problems.